Brisket Pachanga Or Bust

Started by mybad, February 02, 2018, 09:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

I miss many of the posters, I read when I first joined here.  10-11 years goes by fast. I have made many really good items, on my Bradley, that I learned from here, but brisket.

I know what good brisket tastes like, how it should melt in your mouth.....hard to find a place that even serves good brisket.
One person here, who put quite a bit of effort into brisket, was Pachanga. I read his posts, and you could get a feel, about his cooking, like you were there, assisting.

Every time I see my local markets, have a brisket sale, I think "Pachanga" and I think one more try at this. So I have my packer brisket, in the fridge right now. Going to give it 21-30 day "wet" age.
I hope Mr. Pachanga will log on, and give any advice, he may have.

Day 1:

watchdog56

You can e mail him by going to the members tab and search for Pachanga. Then click on his name and then go to actions to send a personal email.

zueth

mybad

Thank you for telling me.

Is the pic showing now in the first post?

zueth

Yes it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtl99

Good luck
just a ? Are you brining it for that amount of time if yes here in Montreal we call that corn-beef it's a little different than smoke meat all thou in my opinion very similar in taste .
Ps put some pics up of the Brisket journey and the finish product lol

Ka Honu

Quote from: mtl99 on February 04, 2018, 12:53:37 PM... brining it for that amount of time if yes here in Montreal we call that corn-beef ...

I don't wet age but that and brining are different processes. Long story short...

- Wet aging is vacuum packing (or leaving in original cryovac) and letting it sit in the fridge to age. You need to read up on it because you have to know when the cut was originally packaged for best results.

- Brining requires salt. As you noted, brined brisket is essentially corned beef.

- Montreal smoked meat is more akin to pastrami which is is brined (or corned), re-seasoned, and generally smoked and/or steamed.

If you're relatively new at smoking briskets (or even if you're not), read ALL of Pachanga's tutorials. He knows what he's talking about and explains it well.

Just sayin'...

mybad

Thank you!

My plan is to wet age the brisket, in the cryovac bag, for 30 or so days. Then basically follow this method by Pachanga http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0

Defiantly will post some photos!

Recipes from the old recipe site http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=37229.45

mtl99

Thanks for the info and good luck

mybad

So 42 days aged in the fridge, cleaned, trimmed, applied rub, and mustard slather.

Into the smoker for 16 hrs. FTC until dinner!

zueth

Do you have picks of it sliced up? looks like you nailed it.

mybad

I should have taken pics of it cut up!

This was the very best thing I have made in the Bradley. Was fun to do. Thx

TedEbear

Looks pretty tasty.  What kind of rub did you use?

Edward176

Looking really good :). We might be picking your brain since it turned out so damn good..

mybad

I just followed the recipe Pachanga had posted here sometime ago.

Those who are new, look here  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=37229.45  for the recipes from the oldmans site that is no longer in service. Many great recipes, methods, and a whole lot more. The Pacanga Brisket, is one of the recipes, you can download.

The spice rub I used:
QuotePacanga's spice rub.
Ingredients:
5 Tbsp dark brown sugar
4 tsp dry mustard
4 tsp onion powder
4 tsp granulated garlic powder
3 tsp dried sweet basil
2 tsp ground bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground savory
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp sea salt or Tender Quick ("promotes a smoke ring")
2 Tbsp beef flavored granules
2 Tbsp New Mexico ground Chile or chili powder
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp powdered dry ginger
Yellow or Dijon mustard or a mustard slather of some type