Smoke generator

Started by Nushman, February 05, 2018, 02:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nushman

Hello everyone. I've just joined the forum because I have a problem. I've had my digital smoker for a few years. It has always worked well, but when I tried to use it on Saturday, it wouldn't turn on. 2 weeks ago I used it to smoke a brisket and it worked fine. Now when I plug it in I get no beep. When I try to turn on the generator or the oven, nothing happens. Actually, the only thing that does happen is a faint buzz is heard when I hold either of the on/off buttons down. I opened the generator and found the buzzing to be coming from the board mounted to the bottom. Does anyone have a clue what has gone wrong?

tskeeter

The first thing I would check is the fuse on the back of the smoke generator to see if it is blown.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Nushman;

Welcome to the forum.

If you already haven't done it, also check your outlet. Almost all outdoor outlets are GIF's, and that may have tripped and cut the current off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tskeeter

If neither of the preceding checks identify the problem, move on to plugging the smoker cabinet directly in to a working outlet.  This will require a computer style cord.  If the heating element in the smoker starts to warm up, this indicates the problem is in the smoker generator.  Since you heard buzzing from the circuit board, at this point, I'd replace the circuit board.

If the heating element doesn't heat up, the problem is in the smoker cabinet.  The first thing I would check is the thermal fuse in the red wire inside the back wall of the smoker.  I'd test that by using a jumper wire to bypass the thermal fuse.  If the heating element starts to warm up using the jumper, you've identified your problem.  Replace the wire with the thermal fuse.  This wire was less than $10 when I replaced one a few years ago.  As long as you're getting one, get a spare.

Nushman

Thanks for the replies.

Habanero Smoker: The outlet it working as it powers other devices.

tskeeter: Both fuses at the back of the generator test good for continuity on a meter. I will test the cabinet heating element when I get home tonight

Nushman

Update: I plugged the cabinet into ac power directly and it heated up. I now believe the buzzing is coming from the control/display board. I had the ac power plugged into the generator and when I unplugged the control/display board the buzzing stopped. I suppose it would be best to contact Bradley customer service for detailed troubleshooting steps