Bisquettes Saver Rings

Started by iluvfish2, January 03, 2018, 09:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iluvfish2

Trying to figure out something on these...I like the concept of them.  Cant find out much if they're really that effective or not.  On the basis that they'll help kick out the last two biscuits into the burning has my interests.  But to those that have used..I'm assuming better to just stick with a solid aluminium ring (to me unless its anodized, any coatings likely to wear off (I'd rather eat my food, than paint), but what about solid versus rings?

Habanero Smoker

Hi iluvfish2;

Welcome to the forum.

If you already have the solid aluminum, I would stick with them. If you don't currently have any puck savers, and are looking to purchase them I would purchase the rings. I've only seen the Bisquettes Saver Rings come in uncoated/untreated aluminum, or anodized aluminum. Getting the anodized ones would be preferable. The only difference in performance is that the solid savers are heavier. In theory may cause more wear and tear, but I've had the solid ones for over 12 years with no noticeable effects on the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iluvfish2

Thanks.  Dont have either yet...but going to get something soon. 

Then will play around with their positioning, thinking 1 every 2-3 biscuits should really help smoke up more of the biscuits in use and save me some for an extra pork butt when the season gets in full gear.

GusRobin

Quote from: iluvfish2 on January 03, 2018, 07:24:11 PM

Then will play around with their positioning, thinking 1 every 2-3 biscuits should really help smoke up more of the biscuits in use and save me some for an extra pork butt when the season gets in full gear.

Not sure why? The puck pusher ends up with 2 pucks not burned, one gets partially. The purpose of the savers is to put at the end of the stack so all the pucks get burnt and the last 3 are the savers. Putting them in between the pucks won't cause them to get burnt more as each burns for 20 minutes.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

iluvfish2

Quote from: GusRobin on January 03, 2018, 08:06:39 PM
Quote from: iluvfish2 on January 03, 2018, 07:24:11 PM

Not sure why? The puck pusher ends up with 2 pucks not burned, one gets partially. The purpose of the savers is to put at the end of the stack so all the pucks get burnt and the last 3 are the savers. Putting them in between the pucks won't cause them to get burnt more as each burns for 20 minutes.

For sure two at the end, thats a given in my planning.  Thought process is adding them in the middle to allow whats already been pushed off to burn further without adding more biscuits.  When I'm done I generally end up with a majority of my biscuits only about 1/2 used (which I then save and add to my grilling efforts in its little smoker box).  But hoping maybe this would use them up further, but it may not.

TedEbear

There's absolutely no reason to add any bisquette savers between bisquettes.  They will still cycle every 20 minutes. Just put 3 of them on top of the stack. The last bisquette saver will push the last bisquette off the burner at the end of its 20 minute cycle, so that it doesn't sit there and smolder to ashes and create a bitter taste to the food.

lophole

Use two at the end and one wood biscuit on top. The wood will advance the rings to push the last burning biscuit off the burner.
The wood is lit weight and can be used over and over. cheaper
lophole

CoreyMac

I got a set of these when I bought my PID. They work great. The anodizing is a non issue. Its actually not coming off. Put them at the end of my biscuits. Just remember to pull them off before the next smoke or you will burn your hands (ask me how I know)

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_29&products_id=111

Corey