Author Topic: Wiring melting  (Read 274 times)

Offline warbirdog

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Wiring melting
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:22:46 am »
 My OBS is malfunctioning. The main oven heating element is burning the ends off the wires.  The fused wire is pretty dark brown that is the shielding is scorched. I checked the in line fuse with a multi meter and it is not opened.
 I ordered a new element and checked the resistance on it compared to the one I just took out of the smoker. They are the same.
 What is causing the element to overheat, and why won't the fuse protect the wiring and the insulation?
  What is the purpose of the temp  sensing device in the cabinet?

Thanks Gordon

PS local Menards has them on sale for 239 less 11% rebate Go for that?

Offline Habanero Smoker

  • Member Extraordinaire
  • ******
  • Posts: 14,238
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: Wiring melting
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »
It may not be the element overheating. The only thing I can think that may have caused the over heating at the connection is possibly a loose connection. Were the screws on the end of the element loose? Or is there a loose connection in either of the lines leading to the element?

The temperature sensor is to protect the interior of the cabinet from getting to hot. When the cabinet interior gets beyond a certain temperature it will trip and cut power to the element. If it works properly, it will reset when the cabinet cools down. The earlier models the sensor would trip around 320°F. I believe the later models will trip around 280°F or around 300°F.


     I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)