What would be the easiest meat to smoke... scary time...

Started by arnaudNL, March 16, 2018, 02:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arnaudNL

Hi Smokers,

Today is D-Day, I will come back from work and my bradley digital smoker will be awaiting me home :)

Maybe you guys could help on an "easy" meat to start with. My butcher told me starting with brisket is a bad idea because I should get used to the smoking process and my smoker, he recommended me to start with pulled pork because it is very difficult to fail.

I am getting hickory and apple wood, shall I attempt something like chicken first maybe?

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards and greetings from the Netherlands

Arnaud

TMB

I'd star with a small pork but 4 to 5 lbs or at least cut a butt into parts and cook would be faster that way
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GusRobin

I would go with a butt as they are very forgiving. I would go with a larger one 8-9 lbs. It may take a while, could be 16 hours depends upon the length of the stall. So allow sufficient time. I usually cook it, shred it, and then vac seal if I a concerned on the timing. I then reheat the next day in a crock pot.
I would only use about 4 hours of smoke.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TwistedSanity

I started with Ribs,
Simple rub and the 3-2-1 method of smoking.  Was a great starter for me.

tskeeter

Arnaud, Gus talked about reheating pulled pork.  I want to share a technique that I developed for heating pulled pork.  Essentially, I steam the pulled pork.  I bring about half an inch of liquid to a boil in a large pot.  I prefer to use apple juice, but water works.  Put my pulled pork in a steamer basket, cover, and in about 7 - 10 minutes the pork is hot.  I like this approach because it is fast.  Since you only have a little bit of liquid in the bottom of your pot, it comes to a boil quickly.  Turn off the burner and leave the pork for your second serving sitting in the steamer basket and the meat stays nice and warm.  Almost like having an Alto-Shaam in your kitchen.