Pork bellies

Started by dirtguy, March 24, 2018, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtguy

Hey guys, finally got my hands on a pork belly that I intend on making bacon with, I'm sure one of you guys has mastered this.....feel like sharing some recipes and tips? Cheers

Gafala

I do maple bacon most of the time but that is just me. Below is a modified cure I use.

Maple Cured Bacon
Hefty 2,5 gal Ziploc bags
CURE MIX FOR 5 LBS. (2.25 KG) OF BACON
3 Tbsp (45 ml) Bradley Maple Cure (Do not use more than this amount.)
1 tsp. (5 ml) Maui sweet onion salt
1 tsp. (5 ml) garlic powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) white pepper
maple syrup (optional) 1 cup to each half of the bellies I buy two bellies and split then in half one for each rack in my four rack.
imitation maple flavor (optional) 1/2 to 1 tsp.
Note: If the meat weighs either more or less than 5 pounds (2.25 kg), the amount of cure mix applied must be proportional to that weight. For example, if the weight of the meat is 2 1/2 pounds (1.25 kg), then each ingredient, including the Bradley Cure, needs to be cut in half.
Preparation
For the kind of bacon popular in the United States, use pork belly. If you wish to make the British-style back bacon, use the same cut of meat that is used for ham, or use sirloin or loin. In all cases, however, the meat should not be more than about 2 inches (5 cm) thick. The width and length are not important, but the hunks or slabs of pork need to be small enough to fit in the curing containers and smoker. If the meat is more than about 2 inches (5 cm) thick, the curing time will be excessive
Blending and applying the curing blend
Weigh the pork. If more than one curing container will be used, calculate separately the total weight of the meat that will be placed in each container. Refrigerate the meat while the cure mix is being prepared. (Any plastic food container with a tight-fitting lid — or a strong plastic bag — can be used as a curing container.)
Prepare, calculate, and measure the required amount of curing mixture for each container. Mix this curing blend until it is uniform.
Place the meat in the curing container(s). Rub the cure mix on all surfaces evenly. Cover, and refrigerate. The refrigerator temperature should be set between 34°F and 40°F (2.2°C to 4.4°C).
Overhaul the pieces of meat after about 12 hours of curing. (Overhaul means to rub the surfaces of the meat to redistribute the cure.) Be sure to wet the meat with any liquid that may have accumulated in the bottom of the curing container.
Overhaul the meat about every other day until the required curing time has elapsed. (Cure one week per inch: If the thickest piece is 1 inch, cure 1 week; if the thickest piece is two inches, cure the whole batch 2 weeks.)
When the curing is finished, rinse each piece of pork very well in lukewarm water. Drain in a colander, and blot with a paper towel.
Wrap each piece of pork in a paper towel, and then wrap again with newspaper. Refrigerate overnight.
Smoking the bacon
I added a little Cracked Pepper to each slab.
The next morning, remove the paper and dry the surface of the meat in front of an electric fan, or inside of a smoker heated to about 140°F (60°C) If a smoker is used, make sure that the damper is fully open. Do not use smoke. Drying the surface will require one or two hours.
When the surface is dry, cold smoke the pork for 3 hours. If your smoke chamber temperature is higher than 85°F (about 30°C), the smoking time might have to shortened to prevent excessive drying.
Raise the smoke chamber temperature to about 150°F (65°C). Smoke about 2 or 3 hours more until the surface of the bacon takes on an attractive reddish-brown color. Remove the meat from the smoke chamber.
Let the meat cool at room temperature for about one hour. After cooling at room temperature, place the hunks of bacon in a container – uncovered – and chill overnight. The bacon may be sliced the following morning. Bacon that will not be consumed within about a week may be frozen.
Note: If the salt taste is too mild, the next time you make this product, add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the ingredients list. If the salt taste is too strong, reduce the amount of Bradley Cure by about 1 teaspoon.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.