Bark

Started by Hammerthrower, March 25, 2018, 01:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerthrower

For some reason I can't seem to get bark on anything I smoke . I use a Bradley smoker with the pucks . My runs are the same that I have seen on these boards . I see pics of the food you guys make and it looks great and mine just does not look the same . Any help would be appreciated.

rexster

You won't get a bark on anything using the Bradley. Too much humidity in the smoker due to the water bowl. You also won't get a good smoke ring either. I used to get a small one, but not like using my stick burner
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

TedEbear

The type of rub you use will help determine if you get a bark or not.  For a pork butt I start out with either molasses or CYM (cheap yellow mustard) and then sprinkle some dry rub all over it.  Either one gives a pretty good bark.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Hammerthrower;

Welcome to the forum.

I get a real good bark on my butts, using the Bradley. The formation of bark depends on a lot of factors - salt. herbs & spices, amount of fat, moisture; and the list goes on. If you foil the meat, foiling too early you will not get a bark; even when you foil at the right time, you will get less of a bark. Maybe if you tell us more on how you prepare the meat, the temperature you cook at, if you foil, would be more helpful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

as others have said, i get a good bark on my pork butt, I dont wrap and smoke/cook them naked the whole time they take between 18-24 hours when I do a load of them.

Hammerthrower

Thanks guys for the replies and welcoming me to the board .

I prepare the stuff as you guys have talked about . Rub mustard first on the pork . Then rub with a mixture of brown sugar, white sugar , salt pepper and other seasonings . Cook time kind of depends but I am definitely not leaving them on as long as 12-18 hours that was posted . That maybe my issue .

zueth

Quote from: Hammerthrower on March 28, 2018, 07:46:11 AM
Thanks guys for the replies and welcoming me to the board .

I prepare the stuff as you guys have talked about . Rub mustard first on the pork . Then rub with a mixture of brown sugar, white sugar , salt pepper and other seasonings . Cook time kind of depends but I am definitely not leaving them on as long as 12-18 hours that was posted . That maybe my issue .

What are you cooking that you are expecting bark and don't get it?

Habanero Smoker

One of the many factors that develop good bark is the longer you smoke/roast at between 225°F to 275°F; will help increase the bark. If you are cooking hot & fast, which is usually not the case with the Bradley, there will be less or very little bark.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)