Putting my Bradley in an old fridge

Started by Oder4u, March 15, 2018, 05:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oder4u

So my first post is a question to all of you smoke heads out there. I have an old fridge that doesn't work anymore and I was wondering if anyone had put their Bradley inside a fridge to help maintain the temperature. It's quite cold up here and I'm having a hard time keeping a consistent temperature inside the smoker. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I have slight concerns about the plastic inside the refrigerator and how it will affect the meat. I would definitely vent the smoke and have a little venting to let fresh air in.
Thanks ahead of time.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Oder4u;

Welcome to the forum.

I have never done it, or have I read any member doing this. There have been members that have converted refrigerators to smokers, but the interior walls were metal or they replaced the plastic walls with metal ones.

Are you just going to place the Bradley in the refrigerator and close the door? If so you are going to have a problem with the smoke circulating, and possibly not getting enough oxygen for the bisquettes to smolder. Though the exterior of the Bradley doesn't get hot, being in a tight enclosed space may cause heat to build up. So you would need some type of intake and exhaust vent system. Or you may want to leave the refrigerator open or at least partially opened.

Also, not knowing the interior size of the refigerator, once the Bradley is inside you may not be able the open the Bradley door far enough to move racks of food in and out of the smoker.

If you search the forum, you will see that many have built, or purchased cabinets to house their smoker. This may give you ideas on how to convert the refrigerato inot a cabinet, or you may want to build your own cabinet. Wind is the main factor in keeping cabinet temperatures down. So any structure that helps block the wind from flowing through the side and top vents will greatly improve the temperature performance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

just a smokin

Quote from: Oder4u on March 15, 2018, 05:56:11 PM
So my first post is a question to all of you smoke heads out there. I have an old fridge that doesn't work anymore and I was wondering if anyone had put their Bradley inside a fridge to help maintain the temperature. It's quite cold up here and I'm having a hard time keeping a consistent temperature inside the smoker. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I have slight concerns about the plastic inside the refrigerator and how it will affect the meat. I would definitely vent the smoke and have a little venting to let fresh air in.
Thanks ahead of time.

well ill tell you what ... like the previous smoker(Habanero Smoker)  has said i agree with him totally as long as you still have a fresh air inlet on the bottom of the fridge ... ( hot air rises .. cold air stays at bottom) so it cant be totally air tight .you see i have 3 of my bradleys in side of a wooden box ( i have a picture to show you but i cant seem to get it on here  ) and they work just fine. the reason why i have done this is for a couple of reasons .. the box is inside a wooden shed to start with with ... then there is now wind draft to worry about taking away the heat from the smoker ... then also for good varmint (mouse) control ... then above  the top vent i have a whole bunch of small little holes i drilled in then for the smoke to circulate out. i have been using this in all kinds of temps ... ( i have 3 manual (analog) smokers . these are temps from on what ever plus side to quite below freezing .. (-20 c) i have good luck here doing it this way . 

i woul