Author Topic: temp probe??  (Read 1120 times)

Offline dasboat

temp probe??
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:14:20 am »
hey all i just picked up 6 rack digi bradley smoker that was lightly used and i have only smoked 3 thing so far first was jerky and put some ribs half way through and my last was some burgers and i was looking to get some sort of temp probe thats fairy cheap i have a digital that i turn on and stab but i have to open the door to much and have seen the maverick et-73 mentioned alot is this a ok entry level probe
for a beginner ? i see them for about 55 cad. i dont smoke alot yet as i am still learning

Offline manfromplaid

Re: temp probe??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:57:02 am »
maverick works just fine.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:15:45 am »
For ease of operation, take a look at Thermoworks "Smoke". It's a little more expensive, but has a better connection to it's remote and it's WAY easier to program. I have three mavericks that sit in the drawer. Never have been able to figure out the programming on any of them.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline GusRobin

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:10 am »
I agree on the Thermoworks Smoke. However if that is not in the budget, I would look at the Maverick 732. It is about $10 bucks more but worth the difference.
It has much better range than the 73. Also, the when the 73 loses signal, it "freezes" at the last reading. So you may not notice for a while that it has lost signal. The 773 will go blank and show "lines" and beep.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:03:05 pm »
Also with the Thermoworks Smoke you have the option of adding a Wi-Fi gateway, that allows the Smoke to be controlled with your smartphone. But that is an option. I find the remote signal very strong, and the receiver picks up the signal when I am in all my rooms.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline watchdog56

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:31:42 am »
I agree with the thermoworks smoke. I have gone through a couple of Maverick ET73. The range does not seem as good and the thermoworks is very easy to operate and it seem more accurate. I have only used it for a couple of smokes but so far I like it.

Offline dasboat

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:37:20 am »
Thanx guys I will check out the thermo that's bit more than I wanted to  spend  but I will have a better look at it soon as I can

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 01:03:30 pm »
If you don't need a thermometer right away, get on ThermoWorks email list. They occasionally have 10% discounts which includes the Smoke, also there are times they will have an open box sale with the Smoke heavily discounted. For the last several year some time in May (which is Barbecue Month), they discount all there Barbecue thermometers, and probes, for a short period of time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Offline TwistedSanity

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 02:24:03 pm »
I have had good luck with the MASTER Chef Digital Thermometer, with the exception to the times I submerged the temp probe in water. Don't do that :o

They are about $30 cad and available at Canadian Tire. I have limited options for my supplies this far north so being available at Canadian tire is a big bonus for me.

It is wireless and very simple to program.

Offline dasboat

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:31:10 pm »
thanx just subbed and waiting for updates

Offline TedEbear

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 01:15:06 pm »
If anyone is interested, ThermoWorks is currently having a 15% off sitewide sale.  It includes the Smoke.  I sort of figured they'd do something when it got close to Memorial Day weekend and here it is.  I signed up the other week when I read about them here in this thread.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 02:01:05 am »
In the last four years, for a short period of time; they have done special sales on their barbecue thermometers during the month of May which is National Barbecue Month. It will be interesting to see if they have a one day sale on the 16th; which is National Barbecue Day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Offline dasboat

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 05:27:09 pm »
well i just bit the bullet and ordered smoke thermo ;D

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 07:26:48 am »
 :) :)  You're gonna like it!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline TedEbear

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 12:55:48 pm »
It looks like the 15% off sale is still going on.  I ordered a blue Smoke last week and it arrived yesterday.  It seems pretty robust, compared to my old Maverick ET-732.  I'm going to do the glass of ice water test to see if it is as accurate out of the box as they claim.  The temp offset can be adjusted +/- 4 degrees.