Digital Bradley not advancing

Started by mwilliams7967, April 18, 2018, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwilliams7967

While using my digital Bradley this past weekend it would sporadically not feed a puck? Any ideas on what causes this? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Like most issues with the Bradley there could be more than one cause. This is generally caused by some obstruction preventing the motor from completing a full cycle. First check the generator to make sure the movement of the shuttle, or the arm is not being obstructed by anything.  Also wires inside the generator can block the movement of the arm that pushes the shuttle, so make sure it has a clear path. Check along the guide rails that the pusher plate pushes the bisquettes, and make sure they are free of debris. Any blockage can prevent the shuttle from fully advancing.

Make sure your feeder tube is straight, and clean inorder for the bisquettes to properly drop and feed.

Less common: if you see any wear along the guide rails that indicate the pusher plate is scraping against the rail; the rails may need to be realigned. If you see any scraping let me know and I will try to write detail instructions on how to realign the rails.

Even less common: This could be a defective timer unit, and you would need to replace it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mwilliams7967

Thank you very much for the response! I've only been using the Bradley during the winter months being that I went to a stick burner. It's kinda strange that it sporadically feeds and then doesn't. But I will check what you have posted!
Thanks again and I will post results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I'll try to explain why it can sporadically feed the bisquettes. During the cycling of the bisquettes, if the motor comes to any resistance it will stop, reverse, then come to a stop when it returns to the micro switch, then cycle again after 20 minutes. The micro switch turns the motor off when the arm makes contact with it. So if the arm was moving counter clockwise, comes against some resistance, then reverses (clockwise), and come to a rest at the micro switch - after 20 minutes it would cycle again, and continue to travel in a clockwise motion; often cycling the bisquette properly this time.

There are times when the generator runs better in one direction than the other. Way back it was felt by many members including myself that the motor had to run in a certain direction to run properly. After many times, watching the movement of the pusher plate with the generator cover off, it seems to me that depending on what direction the motor is running, the pusher plate would seem to exert more force towards one of the guide rails. For example; if the motor cycled counter clockwise, the pusher plate would exert more force towards the right rail (as you are facing it), clockwise it would be the left rail. So if one rail track has the buildup of debris, or the pusher plate is pushing up against the a rail, the motor will reverse, and the next time it may cycle through properly because the pusher plate does not come in contact with any obstackle. You will get a better idea of what I'm saying when you get a chance to watch the pusher plate the next time you have the generator cover off.

I forgot one other cause; which is not frequent, and that's you may have a weak motor or a stripped gears.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)