Broken heating element wire

Started by srb, April 21, 2018, 02:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srb

I noticed that my OBS wasn't heating up, so I went to replace the heating element. I discovered that the left hand wire that attaches to the heating element was broken. The left side bolt was extremely tight and my guess is that the wire broke when I was trying to get it loose.

Assuming this is fixable, what gauge wire and connector type do I need and how do I do it? The heating element swap is already stretching my mechanical skills :)

Thanks!

-Steve

Habanero Smoker

Hi SRB;

Welcome to the forum.

Depending on where the wire broke, you may have enough slack to strip the end, and replace the high temperature wire eyelet. If you don't have enough slack, you will need to get 14 gauge high temperature wire, and also a high temperature wire eyelet, that will properly fit on the end of the element. If you have to replace or splice the wire, you need to take off the back cover, and just follow the wire. It would probably be easier to splice it, than to replace the wire and the high temperature connector that attaches the wire to the power source.

Make sure the wire is high temperature wire.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

srb

The break is right at the heating element. From what you're saying, and looking at it again, I think it's just the eyelet that broke off. That'll be a much easier fix than I'd feared!

Thanks!

-Steve

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome. The nut that attaches to the element has very fine threads, so you only need to tighten it until it is snug.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176