spatchcocked chicken

Started by just a smokin, May 03, 2018, 06:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just a smokin

Can somebody help me understand what's the difference when splitting chicken
Bone side: spatchcocked
Meat side: butterfly

like even send me a picture or something .. thanks

Gafala

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken, breast side down, on a work surface. Starting at thigh end, cut along 1 side of backbone with kitchen shears. Turn chicken around; cut along other side. Discard backbone or save for stock. Flip chicken, and open it like a book. Press firmly on breastbone to flatten.

Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon oil, and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Brush 1 tablespoon oil in the center of a rimmed baking sheet slightly larger than the size of the chicken, and place half the lemon slices in a single layer on top of oil. Place chicken, skin side up, on lemons. Beginning at the neck end of breast, carefully loosen skin from flesh of breast and thighs with your fingers. Slide remaining lemon slices under skin in a single layer.

Roast chicken 20 minutes. Toss shallots with remaining teaspoon oil, and scatter around chicken. Continue to roast chicken until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast reaches 165 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes more.

Transfer chicken to a carving board, and let rest 10 minutes. Cut chicken into 8 pieces, and serve with roasted lemons, shallots, and pan juices. If using chicken for soup and salad, let chicken cool completely. Remove and discard skin, lemon under skin, and bones, and shred meat into bite-size pieces. Chicken, roasted lemons, shallots, and pan juices can be refrigerated up to 2 days. Store meat and pan juices in separate containers; lemons and shallots can be stored together.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

As in reference to chicken, I've never seen directions that differentiated Bone side: spatchcocked/Meat side: butterfly. Is that in a recipe you are following?

As for the terms referring to chicken or turkey, the only difference is the name. When I was a teenager working in a kitchen, we were taught that splitting the chicken down the spine, or removing the spine was called butterflying the bird. Now a days, everyone is calling butterflied spatchcocked. Now once you have it butterflied/spatchcocked, and turn it over and cut through the breast bone, you are halving the chicken.

If you go to YouTube and google either butterflied chicken or spatchcocked chicken, there will be plenty of videos.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

just a smokin

ok thank you there guys.. i really appreciate it