Author Topic: NEW THERMO SMOKE  (Read 297 times)

Offline dasboat

NEW THERMO SMOKE
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:37:06 pm »
well i got to try out my new smoke and was working good in smoker for my steaks  then i put in the bbq to finish them off and was working  good till i went inside and my handheld alarm went off and said no probe so i open the bbq and see a big flame up and the edge of probe melted abit and now it has no signal :(

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: NEW THERMO SMOKE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:02:35 am »
Sounds like the protective coating on the end of the probe was exposed to heat that was too high. You also may have had the wired end of the probe too near the grate or touching the grate. The Smoke will still work with one probe, but you will only be able to monitor either the pit or the meat - but not both.

Though this would be considered as an operator's fault, contact ThermoWorks; they may replace the probe for free. If not the probes for the Smoke are not all that expensive. If you have their Chef's Alarm thermometer, those probes will fit the Smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline dasboat

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 07:45:27 am »
Sounds like the protective coating on the end of the probe was exposed to heat that was too high. You also may have had the wired end of the probe too near the grate or touching the grate. The Smoke will still work with one probe, but you will only be able to monitor either the pit or the meat - but not both.

Though this would be considered as an operator's fault, contact ThermoWorks; they may replace the probe for free. If not the probes for the Smoke are not all that expensive. If you have their Chef's Alarm thermometer, those probes will fit the Smoke.

ya damm flame up i had it out by the edge of grill but must of been to close :( i just ordered a new one

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H7nWEQlodlv-N34lKS0APGsWxTZe9aI0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2yAnHg93g8YcyruIm5svT7Dg04Vy-MW/view?usp=sharing

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:03:16 pm »
I've also learned form this. I never gave this any thought until it happened to you.

ThermoWorks is quick, and you'll have that new probe soon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)