Smoked Almonds

Started by rnmac, June 12, 2018, 03:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnmac

Hi All.
Just did some almonds. Below is my recipe. Would appreciate any and all feedback.
Also wondering if I should be keeping them in the fridge or if the cabinet is okay.
I'm giving them 1 week to bloom before I dig in.

1.13   Kg.   Kirkland Dry Roasted Almonds
3   T.   Sea Salt
2   T.   Brown Sugar, Packed
1   T.   Chipotle Powder
ΒΌ   C.   Jack Daniels

Grind salt in a spice grinder till fine.
Add remaining dry ingredients and grind till well mixed.
In a large bowl toss nuts with the J.D. till well moistened.
Then toss with the spice mix.
I placed them on 2 racks.
I used magic mats on my racks. Next time I will also cover the
sides with foil.
Gave them 2 hours @ 220 with apple pucks.
After they cooled I vacuum sealed them. Got 5 bags with about
2 cups in each.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Randy.

Habanero Smoker

Being vacuumed sealed they should be shelf stable for a long time. Though I have had almonds that lasted about a year in an airtight container, and other times I have had almonds get rancid only after a few months, while in an airtight container. Store them out of direct light, in a cool area. Refrigeration, or freezing does extend the storage life.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

Bookmarked this one thanks!
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

rnmac

Flavour was a little salty and they were as hard as rocks but did they ever taste good.
Definately doing more.

Habanero Smoker

The flavor profile does look good.

On occasion; I've also had them come out either hard or powder. If you can find them, raw or unroasted almonds produce a better end product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

rnmac

First bag was dry roasted. The second is Steam Pasteurized. Got both from Costco.
I don't know if it will make a difference or not. The taste test will be on sunday.
Guess this is going to be another learning curve for me.

Habanero Smoker

In my Costco, the steam pasteurized almonds are raw. I don't know if they have roasted steam pasteurized almonds.

I forgot to add in my previous post, on at least one occasion I've even over roasted raw almonds, but that is rare; since I brine my raw almonds prior to roasting. I apply the smoke, then move them to my kitchen oven, to finish roasted. If I get distracted, I'll over roast them.

The link below is an example of how to brine and roast almonds. It's the recipe I basically use.

Brine & Roasted Almonds

I
         don't
                   inhale.