Silica Packets for bisquettes?

Started by EpicAirFX, October 26, 2017, 09:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicAirFX

Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to keep Silica Packets in an air tight tote with your bisquettes?

It seems that no matter what i do they keep gumming up my smoker after the package has been open. 
I keep them in Ziplock bags currently

Habanero Smoker

Hi EpicAirFX;

Welcome to the forum.

It wouldn't hurt. When I have an open package I also store them in a freezer Ziploc bag, then into a plastic container, and that works well to protect them from humidity during storage.

Make your vent is open wide enough so that there is no smoke and/or vapors backing up into your generator. That can also cause the problem you are describing. Keep the vent at least 1/2 to 3/4 open.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gafala

You could also use your Vacuum Sealer. I have done that to keep for long periods of time.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Vacuum sealing is another good option. I was in Walmart the other day, and Food Saver has these easy seal/peel bags. you can open them without cutting the bag, and if I read it correctly, they can be reused. They are a little more expensive than the regular bags.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)