Puck Advance problem

Started by mpneumann, July 09, 2018, 03:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpneumann

Hi All,
I've got a digital smoker and my briquettes are not advancing correctly.... looking down the "hole" i see that the mechanism only pulls back about 1/4 of the way, then pushes forward as it should.  If I "assist" the mechanism, it will retract fully.  Don't really want to have to do that every 20 minutes! 

Steps I've tried:
1) vacuumed and blown out the generator
2) gave the generator a bit of a shake

No improvment
What should I do next?
Thanks all!

tskeeter

Remove the cover for the smoke generator and check theto see if a wire is obstructing the operation of the linkage that connects the drive motor and the shuttle that pushes the pucks.  Also check the shuttle and it's guides  for burrs or other things that might catch.  And, look for wear points that might indicate the shuttle is shifting and binding.

mpneumann

thanks, tskeeter.  I'll give it a try.  Was a bit nervous about taking it apart but I gather its easy.  While open, should I lubricate any parts?

Gafala

No No that would attract dust that could cause problems.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

mpneumann

Hi again,
So I've got the cover off.... no wires causing obstruction.  No burrs I can feel or identify.   When I power it up and hit the advance button, it fully retracts properly about 1 in 5 attempts.  Having tried your fixes so far, now what?

Cheers,
Michael

Habanero Smoker

The arm connected to the motor will rotate both clockwise and counter clockwise. Does it complete the cycle in only one direction, or it doesn't matter which way the arm is turning that the problem occurs?

Click on the link below; it may be helpful, or it may get you closer to troubleshooting the problem.

Bisquette Advance Problems

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mpneumann

Thanks for the additional guidance.  I've spoken with the service department... they've suggested a new motor which i've ordered.   i'll let you know how the install goes!