Smoked chicken drummies

Started by watchdog56, July 12, 2018, 11:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I have about 7# of chicken dummies and wings I would like to smoke up. I cannot eat them all so I am wondering can I smoke them and put in vacuum bags and in freezer for later?

Orion

Sure you can. Only caution would be to cool them as quickly as you can individually, like on a cookie tray in the fridge. Then , when they are fully brought down in temperature you can bag them well and freeze for later.

If you put a bunch of hot cooked chicken parts in a bag and straight into the freezer there could be issues with warmth in the centre of the package leading to bacteria growth. Seal your freezer bags well and wrap with butcher paper if you've got it to prevent freezer burn. Other than that...no problems
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

rnmac

Hi watchdog56. Whenever I do wings i always make extra. Once they cool down
I portion them & vacuum seal then freeze. They last a long time and i have never
had a complaint about them.

watchdog56

Thanks. As far as reheating them what would be best?

Habanero Smoker

If they are vacuumed sealed, place the bag in simmering water, and heat until at the proper temperature. Some pierce the bag in the top corner, before reheating; just make sure the pierce part is not submerged.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Should I crisp them up in the oven before vacuum sealing or do that when I pull them out of the freezer?

Habanero Smoker

Crisping the skin helps render out the fat, which is necessary for the skin to no longer rubbery. My experience has been that during freezing, or even refrigeration the skin will become soft again, but you will have skin that you can bite through. I've never tried crisping the skin after thawing, but I can't see why that wouldn't work..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)