BDS Element

Started by fishingfarmer, July 22, 2018, 01:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishingfarmer

Hey guy's.I am new to the site .I have a digital smoker .I just put a new element in and only the middle is glowing and I can;t get the heat I am trying to get to. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Edward176

Hello fishingfarmer and welcome to the forum.
If memory serves me the entire heating element DOESN'T glow red hot. When mine is on the ends (around 1-2 inches) are not red hot so it sounds like its running normally. Short of putting a meter on it and checking it is supposed to operate "Low and Slow", that is the secret to smoking.

fishingfarmer

Thanks for the reply. I have played with it today and It took an hour to get to 284 degrees . Is this normal .

Orion

The time required to get up to temperature is dependant on several factors: outside ambient temp. , wind, vent positioning, quantity and temperature of product in smoker if you're not preheating. Having said that, these smoker are some what slow to reach desired temperature. This is the primary reason people install additional or oversized elements.

There is a picture of typical  and normal element illumination on the first page of the attached thread.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36796.0
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

fishingfarmer

Thanks for the reply .