Thinking I went the wrong route...

Started by deputy374, July 28, 2018, 01:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputy374

I have used a charcoal smoker for years.  It was time to replace it so I went electric and got a Bradley digital.  This is my forth time using it and the second time I am getting the "E" code.  Besides that, the temp on this unit has yet to hit 240 consistently.  Maybe it just takes time getting use to it but, as of now, I feel like a fool having paid so much money for these types of results. 

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

If it is just an "E" code and not an "E1" code the below information may be helpful.

A. An "E" message is letting you know that there is something wrong with the advance system. It's the connection between the motor arm and the micro switch. Please open the generator, and take a look at that switch which is going to be a gray rectangle shaped switch; first make sure that it is connected, secondly makes sure nothing is blocking that switch and the arm. If the wires appear to be plugged in, disconnect and reconnect the connections to make sure they are secure.

If the above does not work, check the drive guide for any obstructions; such as a build up of debris in the tracks that will interfere with the movement of the system. Also check the drive guide for any wear and tear. That is an indication the guide track is out of alignment and need to be adjusted.

Another thing that may cause the error, it the micro switch. With your generator plugged in (only do this if you feel comfortable with working with electrical appliances); depress the micro switch. This is to test to see if the micro switch does work. The motor should engage and the motor arm should come around and depress the switch; you should hear a definite click.

If this does not work contact Bradley Technical Support.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deputy374

Yeah I have worked with that issue but, the failure to reach temp is more frustrating.  Hard to plan a meal I guess.  I'm sure I'll get it figured out.  Thanks for all the info though.  I really appreciate it.

Habanero Smoker

From the information you are giving on the temperature, it seems that your Bradley is performing normally. It is like most kitchen oven thermostats. It will overshoot 10 degrees or more before shutting off, then drop 10 degrees or more before coming back on. The only way to resolve that is to get a temperature controller. The Auber PID is a favorite among members, but a lot of controllers that are less accurate have come on the market. They also have a lower temperature range, with 250°F being the maximum; but that would be sufficient for use in the Bradley. It should bring your Bradley to within +/-5°F.

There are more than a few using:  Inkbirds

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deputy374

Thanks for that advice.  I'll definitely look into that