Temp reading off in my smoker

Started by Toban, August 04, 2018, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toban

Hi all, first post.

I just received a new Thermopro temperature gauge device for use in my Bradley smoker. It has a meat probe and a smoker temp probe that clips to a rack. The reading from the smoker probe reads about 25 degrees lower than the Bradley digital readout. I clipped the probe to a rack that was sitting 2nd from the top on the 4 rack slots.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  ...thx.

Orion

You will see variations in the indicated temps when using two different sensors. Location within the smoker, vent opening and product in the smoker will all effect your readings.

The smoker also tends to overshoot the desired temperature setting and then undershoots it as it tries to correct the higher than desired temp. The element is either on or off so it does not modulate temp to a fine degree of accuracy.

Suppose you set the temp to 180 F. During the smoking/cooking process the oven temp indicator might swing between 160 F and 200 F. This is not a problem for the majority of smoking projects. Most household ovens do the same thing however you do not see it indicated by the temp readout.

I would suggest checking your new temp probe by reading a cup of ice water and then a cup of boiling water. If its showing the correct temps everything is good.

I usually set the smoker to about 10 - 20 degrees less than my desired smoke and cook temp to compensate for the tendency to run a bit hot. Best to cook a little longer using low and slow than use high temps anyways.

It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Toban

Yes, I tested it and it's very accurate. The difference between the bradley readout and the probe got closer about every 15mins. until they were about 8 degrees apart. I understand that temps will fluctuate. Thanks for reply.

tskeeter

Toban, Bradley smokers are subject to significant temperature stratification.  Counter to what one would intuitively think, the temp pattern is hottest at the bottom and coolest at the top.  Warmest at the back and cooler toward the door.  It sounds like your temp probe might have been placed higher in the smoker than the built in temp sensor, and maybe closer to the door, too.

I use the temp stratification to my advantage.  I put thicker pieces of meat in the bottom racks and thinner pieces in the top racks so they are all done at the same time.  When smoking cheese, I use only the top racks, where the smoker is cooler.