Back bacon

Started by tpb, August 01, 2018, 03:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpb

Have a loin destined for back bacon.  I want to have a corn meal coating on it.  Was wondering when it is best to apply it and how to best to get it to stick as I plan on slicing before slicing and vac sealing, thanks everyone. 
It's easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission.

Habanero Smoker

I find it difficult to get a good amount of pea meal or corn meal to stick at any stage. The best stage I've found is when it is finished curing, and it has been soaked and/or rinsed. I let it air dry for a small amount of time until the surface is still wet and slightly tacky. Roll it in the meal, pressing firmly, until the loin won't take on any more. I then tightly wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least overnight. After unwrapping, if the surface is soggy and not adhering good to the surface, I will let it air dry again in the refrigerator, before slicing.

I don't smoke/cook my pea meal bacon, so I couldn't tell you if the meal stays adhered to the loin during that stage. I leave it raw, and cook the slices when I need them. I will also often dredge the slices in flour, then beaten egg, then in finely ground corn meal; before frying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)