Adding a temp gauge

Started by Eholcomb, September 05, 2018, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eholcomb

I'm wanting to know if its possible to add a temp gauge to the door of my Bradley 6 rack digital smoker?  I'm not really trusting the digital readout anymore.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Eholcomb,

Welcome to the forum.

You could. You would need to purchase a Bradley door thermometer, or other BBQ thermometer with the appropriate length stem. You will also need some hardware, such as a nut, and washer; if the thermometer doesn't already come with it. You will need to drill the appropriate size hole in your door, and install the thermometer.

Having said that, I find that the door thermometer is only accurate when the Bradley is empty. Once the Bradley is loaded with food, I find the door thermometer very inaccurate. The inaccurate reading can be caused by blocked heat flow, but the main cause is that food is too close. Moisture evaporating from the food cools the air near the surface of the food. To counteract this, try to place the food so that it is at least 3-inches from the sensor.

Many of us have a third party digital probe thermometers. The most notible one is one of the Maverick ET series, that can cost between $35 - $60; depending on what model you purchase. Their are  serveral other brands now making digital thermometers for smokers, and other BBQ cookers. With these type of themometers, you can place the sensor in the area of your smoker that give you the most accurate reading. Also many brands come with two sensors, one for the cabinet (pit), and one for the food. If you purchase an analog thermometer, which could cost $30 and up, once you place in on the door it is permanently mounted. Plus the digital thermometers are more accurate, and give faster readings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Welcome to the forum Eholcomb