Bradley Digita; Smoker

Started by arniep, August 30, 2018, 07:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arniep

I have a stock Bradley digital smoker. Stock meaning it has the 500 watt heater element that came with it. Could I replace the 500 watt heater with a 900 watt one? Or should I just leave well enough alone. I live in the midwest and it will be getting cooler here and thought that might help me with the smoking. On my gas weber I cook all winter long. I have no problems with my smoker but I see a lot of people have problems with the heat.
    Thanks for any info.
      :-\ :-\ :-\

tskeeter

Folks have modified their smokers with a variety of heating elements.  A second OEM element, a 700 watt finned element, and a 900 watt finned element. 

When you're using 1,000 watts of heater element, you're pushing the limits of the stock electrical system.  Many dual element smokers use a PID to handle the additional electrical load.  (A  few folks report  running two OEM elements on the stock wiring without problems.). I suspect that some of the PID crowd used their heater mods to justify equipment that gives the tight temp control available with a PID.

TwistedSanity

Quote from: tskeeter on August 30, 2018, 12:40:35 PM
I suspect that some of the PID crowd used their heater mods to justify equipment that gives the tight temp control available with a PID.

Sssssshhhhhhhhh don't tell my wife

tskeeter

Quote from: TwistedSanity on August 30, 2018, 07:35:26 PM
Quote from: tskeeter on August 30, 2018, 12:40:35 PM
I suspect that some of the PID crowd used their heater mods to justify equipment that gives the tight temp control available with a PID.

Sssssshhhhhhhhh don't tell my wife

I was looking in the mirror as I wrote that.