Brisket and rib mixed cook question

Started by TwistedSanity, August 30, 2018, 07:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwistedSanity

Hello everyone

This Saturday as an end of camping season bbq I will be smoking a 8lb brisket and 4 racks of pork ribs.  I will be running the brisket for about 15 hours. With smoke applied for the first 5/6 hours.  The ribs will go on at hour 11/12 to hopefully finish it all off about the same time.  (I have giving the brisket a couple hours of rest time)

I want to start the smoke again when I add the ribs.  Should I be concerend about overs smoking the brisket?  I will be using hickory wood

Ps. Please do t disown me but I will be doing this cook on my Weber Smokey Mountain

Have a great day

Habanero Smoker

The WSM is a great smoker. It is a good thing you mentioned that, because the end smoke product is much different. Even though by the time you add the ribs the surface of the brisket will be well over the 140°F temperature - a temperature that smoke is assumed will not penetrate into the meat, you will still have smoke adhesion. As long ad the surface is moist, the smoke will adhere.

If it was the Bradley I would suggest applying half the smoke at the beginning of the cook, then the rest of the smoke when you place the ribs in. With the WSM, I would wrap the brisket at some point prior to adding the ribs. Your bark should be fairly well set at that point, though it may be a little softer than ususal. Also your brisket will finish sooner, when it is wrapped.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)