cokking temps as shown in bradley manual

Started by thehay95, August 31, 2018, 11:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehay95

I see that Bradley recommends smoking a brisket to 170. I disagree. I usually take mine anywhere from 195 to 205. It allows the collagen more time to break down, and the meat becomes much more tender. Did my first brisket to 160. Edges were okay, but center of slices were tough.
Same with Boston Butt. Take it to at least 195. Pulls apart so easily then. Again, it gives the collagen enough time to break down.

TwistedSanity

Welcome to the forum

I would agree with the temp you are suggesting.  That are consistent with the recommended temps that I have found in the "how to smoke xxx" on the internet.

I wonder if their recommendations is based on the fact that the Bradley struggles with higher heat. In theory you would think the the re seeing of the fact is a product of an amount of time over a certain critical heat. It will all render at a finished lower temp if you spend more time there. It will just take linger.    Did the manual suggest a cooking tempature?

Anyways. Welcome to the forum and happy smoking

GusRobin

I never cook to a temp. When it takes a probe like butter, then it is done.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Edward176

Welcome to the Forum thehay95. I smoke my meat to IT of 203°f too (or passes the fork into meat and twist test. --- that's twist of fork).