Fenugreek in Maple Bacon

Started by rnmac, September 09, 2018, 06:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnmac

Hello all.
I'm planning on making some maple bacon but find that when I do there isn't a very pronounced maple flavour.
So I have some fenugreek to add to the recipe I plan on using. I believe it is the recipe posted by tenpoint 5.
Figured on grinding it to a powder in a coffee grinder and adding it to my cure. Wondering if 1/2 tsp. per pound
would be right or if a different amount should be used?

Below is the recipe that I plan on using.
5 pounds pork belly, skin on
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons pink curing salt
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons fenugreek

Any and all suggestions & ideas would be welcome.
Thanks in advance for any help.

cathouse willy

Fenugreek, that's interesting,I had to look it up but apparently it tastes like maple syrup. I can't offer any advice but I'd be interested in how your recipe works out.
Bill

Habanero Smoker

I forgot the original reason why I purchase fenugreek, it may have been for a wet brine that I never got around to making. I have used fenugreek when I was heavily into Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern cooking, and continue to use it today in vegetable dishes. It's suppose to go well with lamb and pork, but I've never used it in that way. It does have a maple like flavor when cooked, after you grind it - taste it you will see it has a very bitter undistinguishable taste when uncooked.

I can't give advice on how much to use, though it is a strong spice. I would recommend toasting the seeds until fragrant, prior to grinding.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

Just my 2 cents ....

I have used Fenugreek for Maple flavor but only made extracts from it.   

I was told not to gring the seeds as it can cause a bitter taste but left whole and make extracts then use the extracts for the flavoring.

I have used both vodka and glycerine for the extract both work well but the vodka takes a lot longer to get the flavor out of the seeds. 

Now I use the extracts for sweet syrups like pancakes  and BBQ sauce   
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

rnmac

Thanks for the reply's guys.
Guess I'll try 1/2 tsp. per lb. and toast them before grinding.
Hope this experiment works.

TMB

Quote from: rnmac on September 10, 2018, 08:08:37 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys.
Guess I'll try 1/2 tsp. per lb. and toast them before grinding.
Hope this experiment works.
Give the glycerine a try as well

rnmac

Thanks for the idea TMB. Not sure where to purchase glycerine or what name its branded under. In the grocery store or pharmacy?

TMB

Quote from: rnmac on September 20, 2018, 08:22:50 AM
Thanks for the idea TMB. Not sure where to purchase glycerine or what name its branded under. In the grocery store or pharmacy?
Health food stores carry it as well as a good pharmacy

Ill try to find the name brand I have when I get home

rnmac

TMB

rnmac

Thanks again TMB.
Now I just need to figure what to do with it. I'm guessing steeping the seeds in warmed liquid but will be looking it up to make sure.

TMB

Quote from: rnmac on September 21, 2018, 06:05:07 AM
Thanks again TMB.
Now I just need to figure what to do with it. I'm guessing steeping the seeds in warmed liquid but will be looking it up to make sure.
i used 4oz of glycerin and about a 1/4 cup of seed I did not warm I just let them soak for 7 days then strained the seeds out worked great

If you will search there are recipes for making it, I just did what I thought was right and it wroked well.  Just make sure you cover the seeds all the way and use an air tight jar

rnmac

Thanks for all the help TMB. Have ordered glycerine from amazon & hope to have it here soon.
Will definately post to let all know how this works out.
Right now I'm using some that I toasted and ground to powder on a 5 lb pork loin for a test.
Happy smoking!

TMB

Quote from: rnmac on September 21, 2018, 01:13:55 PM
Thanks for all the help TMB. Have ordered glycerine from amazon & hope to have it here soon.
Will definately post to let all know how this works out.
Right now I'm using some that I toasted and ground to powder on a 5 lb pork loin for a test.
Happy smoking!
Good luck!   Don't forge to search the internet for recipes