Bookmarks 2 Bookmarks

Author Topic: pastrami  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: pastrami
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 02:12:46 am »

There are two curing methods contained in my recipe. If you use the dry cure, as it is written, you won't have a problem with saltiness. I use that recipe almost all the time, and only used the wet brine a few times during development; in my early days of curing. I'll probably be doing another wet brine test in a few weeks; but using a less expensive cut of beef. I'm going to drop the added salt to 7 ounces. So including the additional salt from the cure will give the brine about 10 ounces of salt per gallon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline _Bear_

• Smoke em' if you got em'
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 06:34:36 pm »
They are the Jacobson's, Otto and Cathleen (Kay) were my aunt and uncle and Eric and his family are still there, but I think they sold off the dairy operation. I remember stuking hay and shooting coyotes on the farm as a kid. I spent many summers there.

I will probably stick to the dry cure unless I hear of a better method from you Hab. Thanks again
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Offline manfromplaid

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 08:17:04 pm »
bear  we know the family, not well but my kids went to school with a bunch of them. not the dairy my wife worked at...  I used the wet cure due to the size of my brisket at first. it was long and I cut it in half to fit in my brine container.. which means I could of done the dry cure on 2 pieces. since I want to use the pastrami in the fridge I went ahead and made up a black bean soup for my supper. blending 1/2 the beans makes it nice and thick and there is enough fluids to smooth out the extra salt in the pastrami. thanks for the info habs.

Offline TwistedSanity

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 02:21:07 pm »
Thank you all for the info on this post.

I have copied it all over to a word doc to goin my recipe binder.   I will be giving this a try next summer.

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 02:03:47 am »
Make sure you include the changes that have been posted in this thread. I mainly cure just the flats. If you have a whole brisket, I would separate the two muscles. It's best to either cure the flat, and the point separately. I saw that my local Walmart is selling whole briskets for about $3.50/lb. They have a huge fat cap, but for that price I may just pick one up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline TwistedSanity

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 08:42:45 am »
Will do :-)