Had a baby, so I smoked some Cheese, Nuts, Tofu, Chinese Sausages, Picnic & Butt

Started by csubi, September 29, 2018, 09:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csubi

We had our 2nd daughter!  Yeah!  So, gotta have a party right?
4 weeks before the Open House, I cold smoked some Cheddar, Gouda, and Mont. Jack.  A light coat of maple syrup, and smoked for 3 hrs, then wrapped up and put in the fridge to mellow out.

Using the Flipp App, I found that T&T Supermarket had Pork Picnic on sale for $1.48/lb.  I went and grabbed one. 

I found the Picnic to have a lot of fat, so I went to Superstore to see if I could find another piece of meat to smoke.  I found the PC Free pork, but the store would not price match.  I decided to leave, but went back the next day.  The butcher recognized me, and said they will indeed price match.  WOW!  From $41.00 to $13.00 (approx.)  SCORE!!!! Plus a Butt to boot!

Did a lot of internet searching, and found a rub I would try on the 2 cuts. Wrapped and fridge for 24 hrs.  Also made a Hot Sauce, Carolina Mustard Sauce, and BBQ Sauce.... I mean, why not.

Bought Chinese Sausages from T&T.  No idea what to expect. Those also went in for 3 hours. They are basically sweet and fatty sticks.  Was not a fan.

Flattened the medium tofu overnight.  Once all the water was out, I put the tofu into a bag with some instant miso soup to marinade.  Those also went into the smoker for 3 hours.  That was about 2 hours too long!!  After the smoke, I cut into 1 inch cubes.  Dipped in BBQ sauce and caramelized the sauce in the oven.  Was OK, but once again, over smoked. Will try again.  This recipe is somewhere on the web.

Mixed salted nuts from Costco. Top rack for 3 hours.  Then onto a baking sheet, into the oven at 400.  Checked every 5 min.  Once some of the nuts started to look wet from their oil weeping, I pulled them out. (No longer than 15 min total)  Cooled, and bagged.

Somewhere in the Bradley Forum, I found a link to make Pork Cracklins.  Site was AmazingRibs.com.  Anyway, I cut the skin off with some meat too, Cut into 1 inch strips.  Boiled and seasoned well.  Smoked for 3 hours. Then cubed and into the oven to render the fat.  Well, let me tell you something.....  The Cracklins was DEVOURED!! I could not believe it!!! (Fun Fact: The meat likes to POP and launch off in the oven ) Refer to recipe for more info.

The 2 cuts where in the Bradley for 4 hours. The Maverick probes and meat thermometer were all tested when I boiled the water for the crackling.  Each cut got a probe, after the were foiled. Both went into the oven (225) at 8pm, and I went to work

Got home at 1am, and the probes were around 190F.  So I waited.  The picnic hit 195F first.  I then used the meat therm. but it was showing 187 ish.  WTF?? So I waited.  Eventually the Maverick hit 200F.  The meat therm. was just under 195F.  UGH... It's almost 2am at this point.  I was tired.  I remembered reading if the probes move easily, then it's ready.  The Maverick probe moved slowly, but the meat therm. moved with ease.  At this point, I just FTC and was done with it!  The other cut was still in the oven around 185F.  I set the Maverick alarm and couch crashed.

4am the Maverick was going off at 195F.  Of course the meat therm. was lower. I was done by this point.  Back in the oven for 10 more min, then FTC.   Each cut got a Maverick probe and I passed out.

I woke up at 8am.  Checked the Maverick, and it was showing around 095F.  I read that anything below 140F is not good.  So I quickly placed them in the pans.  The juices were really fatty, so I drained them off.  I then pulled both cuts.  SOOOOO GOOOODDDDD!!!!!!

Now I have another problem.  The meat is pulled and covered, but cooling.  I will need to reheat.  Back to the web.  Ask 10 people how to reheat pulled pork, you will get 10 different suggestions.  I read use juice, beer, water, vaunted vinegar, even finishing sauce.  I really didn't want to add any outside influencing flavours.  I racked my brain for a while and decided to take warm water, and mix in heaping scoops of the rub I used!  I then poured small amounts into each pan, and reheated covered at 220 (I think it was 220.  Maybe 250?) Turned out amazing!  The drippings in the pans were minimal, and very fatty.  I drained and tossed it.  All 3 sauces were a hit too.

Of course, my wife bakes cakes, so we had to have a cake and macaroons!!!

*I have a newborn and a toddler.  Please disregard any spelling and grammar mistakes*

** I did save all recipes.  If you really want I can post.... after I sleep
"A dry martini"    "Oui, monsieur."    "Wait... Three measures of Gordon's; one of vodka; half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it over ice, and add a thin slice of lemon peel"

Habanero Smoker

Congratulations on your new addition to the family.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

csubi

"A dry martini"    "Oui, monsieur."    "Wait... Three measures of Gordon's; one of vodka; half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it over ice, and add a thin slice of lemon peel"

Habanero Smoker

Everything looks great. Glade to hear the picnic turned out alright. The liquid you add when you reheat the pork is just a personal preference. I generally will use a low sodium chicken broth.

Those cakes look amazing!!!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

csubi

That's a great idea. I'll add it to my arsenal...  Thanks for your help as well. You helped everything go smoothly.

TwistedSanity

Edward176

congratulations, on the addition to your family, to you and your wife.