Newbie to smoking from Yukon Canada

Started by YukonGuy, October 09, 2018, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukonGuy

Good day everyone!

A little about myself...

Im a hunter who has taken up the hobby of processing my own meat into finished products for my family and friends.

I am brand new to smoking, and my first project is to build myself a great proofer smoker (all advice is welcome to parts and wiring for PID's).

I have only hunted Moose and sheep up here in the north. So I am looking for recipes for sausages and snack sticks, techniques for brining and smoking a variety of cuts of meat.

Its great to be apart of this community, I will post my progress as I go. Trial and error I am sure but I do not like to see much of my harvested meat go to waste, So all tips and information welcome, PLEASE!  :D

Thanks everyone, I look forward to smoking everything I can

TMB

Welcome from Alabama.  Never tried moose, not likie they are running rampant in Alabama  ;D ;D ;D 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TwistedSanity

Welcome to the boards.  I hail form the NWT,  nice to have a neighbour around.

Have you yet to buy a smoker and are asking advice,  or have you already bought a Bradley and are looking at advancing from there?

Some basic knowledge on your available place to smoke would help.  With moose season late in fall it does not give us northerners much time to process with a smoker before the snow flies.

I have a snack stick recipe that I have perfected (in my very own biases opinion over the last three years that I would be willing to share if you would like it.

Take care

YukonGuy

Thanks TMB it would be great to have some southern styles influencing some of the different stuff Ill have in the smoker over the years.

So my smoking setup will be indoors in my heated garage throughout the winter.

I will be trying to follow MR. Walleye's exact setup. I just need to figure out his parts list (If someone can help me with that)

I have 220 power available, I have a range exhaust hood. I have the proofer cabinet which is about 60*20*32.

I want to build with an oven element. Just need to know which PID controllers I need and basically everything from size of wiring to fuses and thermocouples.

Please share!

TMB

Quote from: YukonGuy on October 10, 2018, 09:19:48 AM
Thanks TMB it would be great to have some southern styles influencing some of the different stuff Ill have in the smoker over the years.

So my smoking setup will be indoors in my heated garage throughout the winter.

I will be trying to follow MR. Walleye's exact setup. I just need to figure out his parts list (If someone can help me with that)

I have 220 power available, I have a range exhaust hood. I have the proofer cabinet which is about 60*20*32.

I want to build with an oven element. Just need to know which PID controllers I need and basically everything from size of wiring to fuses and thermocouples.

Please share!
I have a few good sausage recipes both breakfast and dinner that may work with moose
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Edward176

Hey YukonGuy and welcome (from Winnipeg) to the Forum. Lots of great advise and knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

REMMER1551

Welcome to a fellow Canadian......look forward to some of what you smoke!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk