Pork Butt & Beans

Started by KEVs77, October 30, 2018, 04:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVs77

Making pork shoulder for pulled pork for BBQ on SAT.  My plan is to start smoking Friday night so they will be ready for noon on SAT.  I want to make beans by putting them in and collecting the drippings.  I have never done this before, thus I am turning to you, experts and masters. 

Do I put the beans in right away or wait until the pork has firmed up a bit? 
How long do the beans need, cook/smoke time? 

Thanks ahead of time guys!

8)
"Smoking can cause deliciousness."

cathouse willy

Are you using dried beans or canned? Bbqpitboys have a good smokey bean recipe that uses canned beans, some pork drippings could only make them better

link here

https://bbqpitboys.com/bacon-baked-beans/

KEVs77

Hey Cathouse Willy!

I'm using canned navy/great northwestern beans.

watchdog56

I have put the beans in right away to catch drippings and get smoke flavor. Here is a recipe that is awesome;

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35891.msg412910#msg412910

rnmac

I never tried putting my beans under the pork butt as I always worried about too much fat rendering out of the pork. Mine go in for the entire length of the smoke. Every 4 hrs. when I change the water pan I spritz the butt with apple juice and give the beans a stir. Here is the recipe I use for the beans.

Smoked Beans

1   Lb.      Navy Beans
2   900 Ml.   Chicken Stock
2         Bay Leaves
Pick through beans and soak in stock with bay leaves
for 24 hours.
Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
Drain, reserving 2 C. broth.

2   Med.           Red Onions
1   Lb.      Bacon - Sliced into ½ inch pieces
1   C.      Honey
2   C.      Bean Broth
1   C.      Apple Juice
½   C.      Rye Whiskey

Chop onion and cook till translucent. Set aside.
Cook bacon to render fat. Combine with onions,
Add remaining ingredients to combine.
Stir in beans. Place in pan and in smoker.
After cooking mash approx. 1 C. of beans and
mix into pan.
Foil and let rest.

KEVs77

Thanks guys!  I think I will just put them in right away.  I'll take pics and let you know how it goes.

watchdog56

I have just done them ribs ribs, not pork butts so you may want to scale back the full time under the butts. You could put them there for the first couple of hours then put them on a lower rack and put a foil tray under the butts with water or juice to catch your drippings.

KEVs77

Ok here are some pics.  The piggies are still smoking but I pulled the beans out at 7AM this morning.  Started around 8 PM last night. The beans are delicious although next time I think I'll cook the onions first and render a little bacon fat for extra flavor.

Beans before going in

Piggy before going in

Set up

Beans finished

KEVs77

Here is one of the butts.  I wished I could have kept them in longer, only got to 181, I wanted more bark, but it was delicious and loved by all.