Brisket help please

Started by Steveobesse, November 23, 2018, 05:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveobesse

So i have 2 massive chumks of brisket.....i would like suggestions on how to cut it up into smaller manageable  sizes? I got them from a friend from a meat supply place for his restaurant. Not sure of exact weight but fml they are huge. Thank

Steveobesse

Sorry would post picture but cant figure out.
Best guess is that one is 15lbs and other one is 25lbs lol
I have a bradley digital 4 rack. And dont need that much meat at once.

P.s 20 lbs pork belly on way.......mmmmmm bacon

Habanero Smoker

The 15 pound brisket should fit on the rack without any slicing other than trimming. You should be able to be able to squeeze it in so that it forms a hump in the middle, it will shrink while cooking and fit on the rack. Just make sure that the brisket doesn't touch the back wall. Another way is to place a foiled brick under the brisket to form that hump. The brick trip will be explained in the link below on how to prep a brisket.

Brisket Preparation

The brisket is made up of two muscles, the point, and the flat. If you are going to cut the briskets I would suggest that you seperate those muscles. It is easy to do that. Just turn the brisket fat side down. On theedge of the thicker end of the brisket you will see a large fat vein. Just slice following that fat vein and that will seperate the point from the flat. When seperated each piece will easily fit of a rack. The video below demonstrates how to do that.

Seperating the point from the flat

When smoking/cooking, these two muscles cook at a different rate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Steveobesse

Thank youbso much very appreciated!

Habanero Smoker

Let us know how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Steveobesse

Yes will do. I will be separating the flat and the point before i cook it like the youtube video shows.  Next time i order some will make sure the brisket isnt as big. Lol the 20lb is a little overkill for what i need. Got a little over excited.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Twenty pounds is huge; especially for the Bradley. :) After trimming and cooking, it may only yield 10 - 12 pounds.

I
         don't
                   inhale.