Winter Storage

Started by REMMER1551, November 25, 2018, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMMER1551

Curious....in Toronto get some snow but wondering what I should do with the smoker over the winter?  Do I have to store inside? Can I leave it outside with the cover on it?

Any past experiences would be helpful - thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gafala

I leave mine outside with a Bradley cover, it has been outside since 2011 no problems even with a PID and every thing just keeps working. By the way I'm in Washington State so we do get snow also.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

I live in New York. The last several winters we've been getting frequent heavy wet snow, and I store mine outside. If you have the digital, you may want to consider bringing the generator indoors.

After going through four covers; I gave up on the Bradley covers. They are very susceptible to UV damage, and in the summer my smoker gets a lot of direct sunlight. The sun causes the cover to become hard and brittle, and during the winter months it is prone to cracking. A couple of years ago I purchase a third party cover, and I'm very pleased with it. There are no signs of UV damage, and it still remains somewhat flexible during the winter; so it will not crack. Their is no problem with moisture, as it has an air vent. There are adjustable side straps to keep the cover secure.

ICover-Bradley 4 Rack Cover

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manfromplaid

I live in alberta. my smoker is the digital and I have it outside in a small plastic shed. I leave the generator on it but bring my PID into the house after every use. But I do heat up the shed before using the smoker in the colder months. a small ceramic heater works fine.

sdcaller

I'm at Horseshoe Valley, just North of Barrie in Ontario.

I keep my OBS in my unheated garage all year, and just bring it out when I plan to use it.

SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

Jim O

I'm in Wasaga Beach,also north of Barrie Ontario and also leave my smoker in an unheated garage. When using it I vent it out a sliding garage window,with good results. Been doing this for about ten years.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

jiggerjams

I live in Brampton and for years keep it in my living room. I just take it outside when I want to use it. You get a jump by the smoker starting at room temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zueth

Must have a nice smoking smell to your living room.

TedEbear

I was thinking the same thing.  I store mine in the basement.  Anywhere within about 5' of it and the smoke smell is in the air.  I don't think I'd want that smell in my living room.

zueth

Exactly I store mine in my garage and I get a nice smoke smell all the time.