Bradley DBS Second Element Install

Started by berkley, December 02, 2018, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berkley

Hi Everyone

I have installed a second element in my DBS. The internal relay will handle the extra power but I did beef up the supply trace on the PCB. My question is, has anyone moved the thermocouple for the box temp? I am finding that the element is cycling off to soon because the proximity of the box sensor. anyone else come across this issue?

thank you

TedEbear

No.  I think most everyone who adds a second element also adds a PID controller at the same time.  That's what I did with my OBS and the temp sensor hangs through the top vent.

berkley

Thanks for the reply

That's what I did with my OBS and it works awesome . the DBS box temperature is  much lower in the DBS than the digital controller is indicating and Im wondering if its because of the sensor being so close to the elements.

Where do hang you thermocouple from the top? near the top, in the middle or below the bottom rack. I read here below the bottom rack.

TedEbear

I hang mine about 12" or so below the vent, as long as it's not hovering right above something I'm smoking.

berkley

Can anyone tell me if the temperature sensor is a thermocouple or a RTD?

Habanero Smoker

For the Bradley, I don't think it is either.  I believe it is just a simple bimetal thermostat. That is why you get those wide swing in temperatures.

I run my third party temperature sensor through the door opening, and clip it on bottom rail near the door.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

berkley

Hi Everyone

For those that are interested. The internal sensor in the DBS is a 100k thermistor. The bypass plug uses a 100,000 ohm resistor in the bypass plug that indicates a box temp of 77 degrees. Its a NTC thermistor. That mean as temperature goes up, resistance goes down. I am purchasing a Baoblaze 3D Printer NTC Thermistor Temperature Sensor Tube 100K for Reprap Prusa i3 Comgrow (3.3Ft). I will be able to hang it from the top to test for better temperature consistency. Ill report back my findings.