Irish smoked salmon

Started by Gafala, June 17, 2019, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafala

Going to Ireland want to try some of there smoked salmon, and see if I can get the spices they use and what wood they use to smoke it.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Ka Honu

Simply speaking, Irish smoked salmon is salted, rinsed, and (hot- or cold-) smoked over oak and (sometimes) beech. Different flavorings may be used - you'll find some of them in this article about the various smokehouses.

Gafala

Thanks that's great info. I have done salmon before with alder and hickory, but wife didn't like the hickory I think I smoked it to long.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

manxman

Commonest wood used is oak but they also use beech and ash, sometimes a mixture. Depending on  where and when you are going from what I remember (not been there for a while) some of the smokehouses advertise tours which may be fun? :)

Hope you like a pint of the black stuff (Guinness), the occasional whiskey and as far as sea food goes Irish mussels are something else to look out for.
Manxman

Gafala

No beer for me my med's don't go well with that my step son will make up for me.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"

manxman

Hope you have a great time, fabulous place and lovely people.  :)
Manxman