Cold smoked prime rib

Started by _Bear_, December 26, 2018, 01:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Merry Christmas all. I thought I would share this. I cold smoked a 6.5 lb prime rib with apple for 3 hrs. I then let it rest unrefrigerated for 6 hrs. Slathered it in butter infused with Rosemary, thyme and pepper and then salted it all with kosher salt. baked in oven at 500* for 34 min (5 min/lb), then shut the oven off and let it rest in the oven for 2 hrs. It was perfect. Best prime rib I have ever eaten. Made Au Jus and it was also great. Best Christmas leftover French dip sandwiches ever.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

cathouse willy

Orion

Thanks for sharing! Beleive it or not ours is sitting on the counter right now warming to room temp and we are cooking it exactly as you described. It's a little smaller at 5.2 lbs but our ingredients are identical to yours.  Hopefully it turns out like yours did.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

watchdog56

I have read other recipes that did that also. Was just kind of leary about trying it. Looks perfect.

Ka Honu

Nothing wrong with the cold smoke but I don't think I'd leave it at room temp for that long between the smoke and the cook. General guidelines are no longer than four hours from fridge to oven. Just sayin'...

_Bear_

I like turkey leftovers..........but prime rib on a bun with creamed horseradish spread on it and au jus is phenomenal. And when I say cold smoked, it was below freezing when I smoked it in the morning, box temp never got above freezing point. I found several recipes on line that say to leave it sit out at least 6 hrs to bring it to room temp before cooking, and it works like a damn. I will use this method from now on.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"