Pork loin question

Started by mow_delon, January 30, 2019, 07:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mow_delon

Hey all, been a while since I've needed advice, but the time has come. I need to have a pork loin ready (2 actually) for  noon meal this Saturday. No big deal but I cannot smoke it Saturday morning, so it will have be refrigerated and reheated Saturday morning in a roaster, as I cannot be there. I was planning on a mustard slather and some pork rub on the loins, so I do not really want to reheat with apple juice or other liquid unless that is only way to maintain moisture in the loin. Also, am planning to slice after it has been re-heated unless someone tells me otherwise. I am really just worried about the pork being too dry after reheating. All advice is welcome!  Thanks all!

Habanero Smoker

If you reheat, slicing after reheating is the best way to go. With pork every time I have reheated a roast, it is a little dryer. If you cook ahead of time you can try a few thing, and a combination of things. Brining the loins will help. Use a light salt brine. Or you can purchase enhanced pork that is already injected with a brine; though I recommend brining the loins yourself. Smoke/cook at 225°F until your loin reaches 138°F. Take it out of the smoker, allow to cool down, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.  Prior to reheating, let it set on the counter for 1 - 2 hours, and bring the internal temperature up to 140°F - 145°F.

Another thing you can do is to apply the smoke a day or two before hand, but you will need to keep the cabinet below 70°F. Prior to placing the loin in the smoker, air dry them uncovered in the refrigerator for 2 - 4 hour. Move them directly from the refrigerator to the smoker. Apply 2 - 3 hours of smoke; remove from smoker, wrap tightly with plastic, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. After that period you can prepare the loins with the mustard and rub, and then fully cook them roasts in the roaster Saturday morning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

All great advice above. The other thing you can do is reheat in SV @ 140. This guarantees it doesn't get over cooked and doesn't dry out. If you have a SV or access to one that is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk