Can you heat pre-heat the smoker, without having the smoke generator on?

Started by suddenstop, January 06, 2019, 06:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suddenstop

First time smoker, doing a venison ham today.  I seasoned the smoker yesterday and had both the smoke generator and heating element on.

Today's plan calls for a pre-heat and 2 hour period of no smoke to get rid of some of the moisture. 

Long story short, it seems like I need to turn the smoke generator switch ON and also have the dial set to temp.  I don't have any pucks in because I am not smoking yet.  Just drying things out.

Is this normal? Or should I be able to just turn on the dial for pre heat?  If I just turn the dial without turning the switch to the on position then nothing happens.  If I turn on the switch, then the red like also turns on above the temp dial?

This is likely all normal I just don't want to run the smoke generator heater and risk burning it out or something if I am doing something wrong.

Steel City Smoker

Having the smoke generator on won't hurt anything and will only help with moisture. Just don't put any bisquets in until ready to smoke.
Smoking ain't everything.....it's the only thing.

manfromplaid

heat element is 500 watts and by running the smoke generator you add another 125 watts of heat. I think almost all of us keep the extra heat going all the time. any bit helps.  good luck with your smoke.

Edward176

Greetings suddenstop and welcome to the Forum. I also turn on my smoke generator when preheating the unit and leave it running for the extra heat. It takes around 20 minutes (more or less) for the element to be hot enough to burn your bisquette so when you are ready to smoke so is the smoke generator. The extra 125 watts helps. 

suddenstop

Thanks for the reply everyone, the roast turned out AMAZING!!!!  I've got a pork roast marinating now!  I'll be leaving the smoke generator on to help with the preheat for sure.  Cold Canadian weather