Corned beef

Started by Thompsoncentre, March 30, 2014, 08:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

That is some excellent looking corned beef. I'm going to have to start looking for that cut of meat. I've never seen that cut in my area, and when you mentioned it, it was the first time I've heard of that cut.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thompsoncentre

Well actually that piece I'm showing there is a deer roast.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on April 09, 2014, 01:55:54 PM
Well actually that piece I'm showing there is a deer roast.

That will explain why I never saw that cut before. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MrCucumber

I found a cool recipe and tried it yesterday, tastes soo good https://club.cooking/articles/how-long-to-cook-corned-beef/!

dubob

I don't know how I missed this thread.  While titled 'Corned Beef', the OP was asking about making pastrami and how to produce his own corned beef.  Corned beef is traditionally made from beef brisket.  But, you can 'corn' just about any red meat and I have had great success corning beef, elk, deer, antelope, ducks, and geese.  Here is a recipe I got from an old timer (that produced some of the best corned duck I've ever eaten.

I would guess that Thompsoncentre has probably figured all this out by now since his original post was made in 2014, But maybe some newer folks will benefit from my recipe.

QuoteCorned Meat

Preparation

Mix all corning solution ingredients listed below in a one-gallon glass jar or stone crock.  Submerge meat in brine and put in a cool place (under 50 degrees F) for 7 - 10 days, dependent on the size of the meat.  I do duck breasts for the 7 days, goose breasts for 8/9, and larger roasts for the full 10.  It's a learning process.   After 7/10 days, remove the meat and rinse.  You can now cook as corned meat (which is great) or make into pastrami (smoke the corned meat - which is even better).

Ingredients

Corning Solution:

1 C Morton's Tender-Quick
2 T sugar
2 T pickling spices
5 cloves garlic
2 quarts warmish water
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Habanero Smoker

There is also a recipe using Cure #1 on page 1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

dubob

Sorry HS, I didn't bother to read the whole thread since it is 5 years old.  My bad.  The original recipe I got called for prague powder (called cure #1 these days) and salt.  I did some research and converted the recipe to use the Tender-Quick.  Tender Quick contains salt, sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite that contribute to development of color and flavor.  It also contains propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform.

There are probably several recipes available via the Internet for corning meats.  I've used the one I posted to good effect and thought others may want to try their hand at making some corned meat a/o pastrami.   :)
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Habanero Smoker

No reason to apologize. My post was in response was to your comment, "I would guess that Thompsoncentre has probably figured all this out by now..."; not towards the recipe you posted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.