Slow Cooker Recipe adapted to Smoker

Started by CWes54, October 10, 2020, 04:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWes54

Hey all.  First time posting, and still fairly new to my Bradley. (Just got it back in June.) I've got this slow cooker recipe for a pulled beef barbacoa (https://www.fivehearthome.com/slow-cooker-beef-barbacoa/) and I've been thinking about trying to smoke it instead of running it in the slow cooker.

My idea is to drop the beer, broth, and bay leaf from the recipe and just make the paste and smoke using the Chili Cumin bisquettes.  I was figuring smoking it for about 4 hours, wrapping once a crust or bark had formed, and then continuing the cook until an IT of about 205F. 

Any ideas or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

manfromplaid

there may be other ideas. this sounds like a good time to break out the aluminum pan. mix it all up and rub the paste over the beef. into the pan and off to the smoker. give it the amount off smoke you like. I would mix your wet ingredients and pour a little in the pan to add some moisture. after the smoke, heat and add the rest of liquid and cover pan with foil. at this point you can also bring it into the house and finish in the oven.

CWes54

Quote from: manfromplaid on October 10, 2020, 06:08:29 PM
there may be other ideas. this sounds like a good time to break out the aluminum pan. mix it all up and rub the paste over the beef. into the pan and off to the smoker. give it the amount off smoke you like. I would mix your wet ingredients and pour a little in the pan to add some moisture. after the smoke, heat and add the rest of liquid and cover pan with foil. at this point you can also bring it into the house and finish in the oven.

Thanks for the great idea! I had never considered using an aluminum pan in the smoker. I was a little sad that I might be missing out on the delicious juice that I like to use as a dipping sauce for quesadillas among other things. Gotta wait for the Chili Cumin bisquettes to come in, but I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it done.

Habanero Smoker

Hi CWes54,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with manfromplaid, or finish in the slow cooker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

CWes54

The Chili Cumin bisquettes came in today. I've got the 4lb chuck roast all pasted up and in the fridge ready for tomorrow. Thinking about 5 hours on the smoker at 230 should be enough smoke, then bring it inside, cover the pan in foil, and finish in the oven. Thanks again for the pan idea Manfromplaid.

manfromplaid

CWes54

Pulled out after 5 hours. Internal Temp 160. Time to pour in the broth/beer mixture, cover pan in foil, and throw into oven. Going to about 200 - 205. Probe is a Meater+

forwardres

I like to smoke meat, especially poultry and beef, because the most tender and tasty meat comes out of there. I often cook it and try to find new recipes related to barbecue and grilling because, for me personally, it is the best solution for cooking dinner. Just recently, I managed to find a place like https://eatdelights.com/potstickers-sides/. There are a million options for side dishes that go great with meat, especially smoked meats. I think you're going to love it.

iusepina

RobsTroowers

It seems to me that in this recipe, just the absolute highlight is the addition of beer, but you can cook as you like. I really want to try to make this recipe traditionally. Still, because I am constantly working, I do not have free time for cooking, which can take 4-5 hours... Therefore, if I eat at my favorite restaurant -- riwa-restaurant.de, although I know that it may be worth starting to prepare food in advance, I just don't have the time and energy for it yet. Still, soon I will be promoted and have a lot more rest.

iusepina

I want to get the recipe for the meat! It looks tasty. I always try new recipes on the weekends when I have more time to do the things I like the most, for example, cooking. I like trying new recipes for meat, especially new recipes for grills. I eat meat twice a day. The only part of the day I don't eat meat is during breakfast. Meat is a too heavy meal for starting a day, so it is why I always have some granola from michelesgranola.com at home. It is light and natural food, and my stomach always feels awesome after eating granola for breakfast.