Tabasco Sauce Replacement

Started by jiggerjams, January 22, 2019, 06:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Hi all!!!,

Anyone have a good recommendation for a drop in replacement for Tabasco sauce? 

I really like the sauce but man it gets expensive when you do a mess of Blazin Pistachios.

Thanks in advance.

Jiggerjams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orion

I used to make my own hot sauces anc they were quite good. Now I grown a bunch of Habanero pepper pods and dry and smoke them. Then I grind them into a fine powder.  I find this blend is extremely hot and can be used in any dish imaginable. It's simple to make, simple to store , inexpensive and so versatile. You can  add it to sauces , soups ,  pasta, stew, casseroles, eggs, spreads , dips , seasonings you name it. It brings a nice fruity heat without the vinigary edge.

It's the only product in my pantry for heat now and covers all my needs at a fraction of the cost of various sauces.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

I was going to suggest buying it by the gallon, but I see you live in Canada, and the shipping would not be worth the cost. Making your own Green Jalapeno Sauce, may be the least expensive way to go.

The link below should give you a sauce similar to what you are using for Blazin Pistachios.
Green Jalapeno Sauce

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

Quote from: Orion on January 22, 2019, 10:16:48 PM
I used to make my own hot sauces anc they were quite good. Now I grown a bunch of Habanero pepper pods and dry and smoke them. Then I grind them into a fine powder.  I find this blend is extremely hot and can be used in any dish imaginable. It's simple to make, simple to store , inexpensive and so versatile. You can  add it to sauces , soups ,  pasta, stew, casseroles, eggs, spreads , dips , seasonings you name it. It brings a nice fruity heat without the vinigary edge.

It's the only product in my pantry for heat now and covers all my needs at a fraction of the cost of various sauces.

jiggerjams

Thanks Orion. That is great information and I will giver a go!!

jiggerjams

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 23, 2019, 02:08:59 AM
I was going to suggest buying it by the gallon, but I see you live in Canada, and the shipping would not be worth the cost. Making your own Green Jalapeno Sauce, may be the least expensive way to go.

The link below should give you a sauce similar to what you are using for Blazin Pistachios.
Green Jalapeno Sauce
Thanks HS. I will try to make my own sauce. Just not with jalapeƱos. Great idwa

Orion

If you want to try the dried Habaneros it's pretty easy. Many supermarkets carry them year around. They're the (usually) orange coloured walnut sized ones . You just need to buy about a dozen. Wash them well, allow to dry, remove the stems and then slice in half. I leave all the seeds and membrane in place. Occasionally you will find one with blackened seeds; those I remove. Spread them on your rack and run cabinet heat at about 140 for a few hours to get the drying well started. Then a couple hrs smoke of any type. You could do this at the same time as you smoke something else...meat etc.

Once smoked continue with the heat until they are pretty much dry. They will shrink and turn dark orange/brownish. You may want to use some foil or parchment paper on your rack so they don't fall through.

I remove them from the smoker and allow them to finish drying on the kitchen counter for a few days to ensure they completely dry. Then I grind them in one of my blenders into a  medium fine powder. Be careful breathing and handling this stuff: it is potent!

You can then put it in a spice jar with a sealed cap and use that to sprinkle it into your recipes. It can be added to anything including liquids to make a quick hot bbq sauce . We use it on everything you could imagine and never have to buy specific pricy little bottles of hot sauce.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

jiggerjams

That's great information. Thanks for all the help. Definitely going to pursue making my own.

Habanero Smoker

What Tabasco flavored sauce are you using now? The recipe calls for their green pepper sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Edward176

Thank you Habanero Smoker and Orion, I think I'll try both recipes and have them on hand for the future :)

jiggerjams

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 23, 2019, 01:14:25 PM
What Tabasco flavored sauce are you using now? The recipe calls for their green pepper sauce.

jiggerjams

Quote from: jiggerjams on January 23, 2019, 02:54:41 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 23, 2019, 01:14:25 PM
I use the original or regular. I can get the red in bigger bottles which cuts costs a wee bit. I like jalapeƱos in small doses so couldn't pull the trigger on the green Tobasco for this recipe.

I like to do about 40 cups at a time when I do make them.

Habanero Smoker

The original, also known as Tabasco Red, has a nice flavor, and not too hot. If you are looking for just the same amount of heat, then if you use habanero; depending on your batch, you might want to cut that sauce to about 1/3 strength, or use 1/3 the amount. If you are looking of the same flavor, it's hard to get that flavor without using Tabasco peppers.

Let us know if you make your own hot sauce, and how it turned out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jiggerjams

Will do for sure. Thanks guys