When to use, and what to use mesquite bisquettes on?

Started by suddenstop, January 23, 2019, 06:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suddenstop

Basically every post here mentions what bisquette that person uses, and also what ones they avoid.  I see most common that most do not smoke with mesquite.  I see Bradley has a posting on what types of meat go good with what puck but its quite generic, thought i'd ask the pros!

I've got a 48 box of mesquite, used a few on a pork roast and was happy with it.  But what are some other good DO's and DON'Ts of mesquite? 

TMB

Quote from: suddenstop on January 23, 2019, 06:10:26 AM
Basically every post here mentions what bisquette that person uses, and also what ones they avoid.  I see most common that most do not smoke with mesquite.  I see Bradley has a posting on what types of meat go good with what puck but its quite generic, thought i'd ask the pros!

I've got a 48 box of mesquite, used a few on a pork roast and was happy with it.  But what are some other good DO's and DON'Ts of mesquite?
Not so much as NOT what to smoke with them it's more like what you like.  Mesquite can be over powering for some foods and for me not a good flavor other than brisket (again just me)

I would never do pork or chicken with it but a brisket or a good chuckie every now and then ain't bad.

For a lighter flavor I go with Apple or Pecan, again that's just me. 

Just my 2 cents
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Orion

I've never been too particular about which wood I use. I find they all give good results as long as you don't overdo it with the smoke . About the only set rule for me is I always use alder with fish.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

The mesquite bisquettes provide a very strong smoke, but when I use chunks of mesquite in my charcoal burners it provides a much better flavor. If you have it and need to use it up, I would use it with meats that have a strong flavor such as chuck, brisket, duck, lamb etc. I would use it in moderation - maybe start with half the smoke time that is recommended in the recipe.

P.S.
How much smoke did you apply to the pork roast.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

For me I used mesquite pretty much never, but like Habs said I had to use it would mix it in with others, maybe 2 to 1 or less, like 2 hickory 1 mesquite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat

I like mesquite on ALL beef. I also like oak, pecan, hickory, and walnut on beef. For beef, you cannot get it to strong for me.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/