Rub ribs before or after applying cold smoke??

Started by csubi, March 28, 2019, 10:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csubi

So I had a b-day.... yeah me. Got me a sous-vide machine!

Trying an experiment,  where I apply some cold smoke first, then sous-vide the ribs.

Actually I'll have 4 racks for the experiment.
1 - control. No smoke
2 - smoke before only [1.5 hours? - Open to suggestions]
3 - smoke after sous-vide only (cold smoke again 1.5 hours? )
4 - double smoked (cold smoke before and after the bath)

I'm reading the ribs have to be cold.  However, I'd like to know if I should  rub the racks beforehand (moisture will leave) or after I apply the cold smoke.

Thanks
"A dry martini"    "Oui, monsieur."    "Wait... Three measures of Gordon's; one of vodka; half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it over ice, and add a thin slice of lemon peel"

Habanero Smoker

I've never sous vide ribs, but have so with several other cuts of meat. All four methods sound like good experiments. Because you are cooking them at a low temperature, you are not going to loose too much moisture, and the moisture that is pulled out of the meat - the ribs cook in them. In this case I don't really see how it will matter if you place the rub on before or after you cold smoke them. You may get better smoke flavor is you season first. This will draw out moisture to the surface, and will give you a stronger smoke flavor. I always season first before smoking, but when I sous vide I use less seasoning than if I were to smoke them. Using fresh herbs always works well. You didn't mention how you will finish them. They are going to look a pale gray when they are done, with no bark. If I were to sous vide ribs I would follow the steps on the Serious Eats website as a guideline. When vacuum sealing be careful that the bones don't puncher the bag.

Sous Vide Pork Rib

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

csubi

Thanks again.

They're going to be finished in the oven. A light coat of Homemade BBQ sauce as not to overpower the spices and meat.

Probably Hasselback potatoes on the side.
"A dry martini"    "Oui, monsieur."    "Wait... Three measures of Gordon's; one of vodka; half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it over ice, and add a thin slice of lemon peel"