Aging cheese

Started by Gebs27, January 03, 2019, 05:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gebs27

I seen a few posts about letting ur cheese age for at least a month.

What are guys usually doing? Are they wrapping it in paper. Some people say don't vacuum seal it,  so I am a bit lost what I should do with the cheese once I cold smoke it.

Help me out !!

cathouse willy

I vacuum pack mine and store it in the back of the fridge.One month is minimum, 3 months is better, and 6 months or more is best. I find it ages nicely this way.

manfromplaid

agree with cathouse.. 2 hr of smoke (keep temp below 90) hr. or so on the counter to bloom and then vac seal. drawer in the garage fridge and don't touch for 2 months. my batch that just ran out was 13 months old. new batch ready in 2 more weeks.

Habanero Smoker

I also agree with vacuum sealing after smoking. During this period you are actually storing it for a period of time while the smoke flavor mellows out and becomes more pleasant to the taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

I agree with all the above. You'd definitely don't want to eat it right away. Yuck!!

oil99

I also vac seal and wait. The longer the better. Usually many bags of smaller chunks as we don't eat that much.

My last batch though is getting moldy around several edges/packages... prob ~5mths. I'll likely cut off and re-pack but not sure yet. I'm 99% sure they were dry when packed and the bags are still tight.
Using Tapatalk

zueth

Never have had mold I have had smoked cheese 18 months later. I put mine in zip locks in fridge for a few days then wipe off moisture and vac pack. I won't open for at least 3 months, longer the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oil99

Quote from: zueth on January 04, 2019, 08:14:31 PM
Never have had mold I have had smoked cheese 18 months later. I put mine in zip locks in fridge for a few days then wipe off moisture and vac pack. I won't open for at least 3 months, longer the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you I usually dry on racks after coming out of the smoke, then bag and let rest in the fridge for a few days before vac pac. Same on wiping dry. Strange batch I guess.
It's minor enough that I'd have no problem trimming off before eating.
Using Tapatalk

Roget

What they said.
I have several packages that I smoked  & vacuum sealed in November 2017.
YCDBSOYA

Doug in Alaska

I pretty much agree.  I cold smoke my cheese for two hours using apple wood.  I then let it sit on the counter on cooling racks for two hours.  I then put it in the fridge, on the cooling racks overnight.  The next day I vacuum seal it and let it sit in the fridge for 30 to 60 days before trying it.  People I know love my cheese and tell me it is the best they've ever had.  I agree with them, it is wonderful!!!!