Cold smoked mackerel

Started by Trond C, August 20, 2011, 01:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trond C

Hi ! :D  We got some mackerel two weeks ago and I decided to try coldsmoking them. I had them in a bucket with coarse salt for two weeks. I could have had some sugar in to. They make their own brine - salt draws out liquid from the fish. Then from early evening yesterday to late morning in fresh water to draw out salt.   

Drying:

Ready for smoke:

Just checking  :) :

Finished after 12 hours smoke, alder and hickory!

They tasted nice - my first time coldsmoking fish. The two weeks in salt I don't think is necessary, some receipts says so, other one/two days, both is probably OK, maybe some difference in the end? Next time I'll catch more mackerel, to even out the amount of smoke and fish  :)

Fish is OK, mackerel is nice, meat isn't bad either - I just had to show the nice peace of meat I smoked some weeks ago, tasted very nice and looks good in pictures  :D

And, this boat passing here earlier this summer was very nice  :)

Best regards,
Trond,
Norway

Habanero Smoker

The fish looks good.

You may have solved a problem I have. A friend of mine was talking about white fish lox she use to eat as a child, but she didn't know what white fish was used. I may try the mackerel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Trond C

Yes, the fish was good, now wife and daughter has tasted too, and agree. We had a visit of this little one here under, maybe he smelled nice food - but he did not like the smoked mackerel when we gave him some  :) it's called a marten, european type, in English, according to google    :)

Best regards,
Trond,
Norway

muebe

The Mackeral looks like it turned out good. My favorite way to eat Mackeral is raw...as in sushi ;D

Spanish Mackerel is pretty good but my favorite is Japanese Mackerel. I never had cold smoked Mackerel but would be more than willing to give it a shot after seeing your pics. ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

3rensho

That is some nice looking fish.  Maybe you could cold smoke some lutefisk before cooking it at Christmas.  ;D ;D

Quoteit's called a marten, european type, in English,

We've got lots of those little guys here in Switzerland - called Marder's in German.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

callatis

The meat looks great! Why the skin didn't get that nice golden color?
I hot smoke my mackerel and I get the golden color. Looking to do cols smoking too.