Pickling eggs and sausage

Started by _Bear_, April 11, 2019, 01:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

So as the title says, I am going to take a crack at pickling 24 large hard boiled eggs and 3+lbs of sausage (pork based), and I want to cold smoke the eggs, onions, garlic, and the sausages then throw it all into a pickling brined for a couple of week. I have not tried this before and am just kind of trying to piece together a good recipe. Any thoughts on how log to cold smoke the ingredients and what wood should I use, I was thinking mesquite, but am not sure. If anyone has done this before, all tip and tricks are welcome.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

manxman

I have pickled hard boiled eggs a few times, still eating a batch I made at Christmas. Don't usually smoke them but when I do I use oak for a couple of hours if that is any help? Oak also works well when cold smoking garlic, mesquite could be a bit overpowering?
Manxman

Gafala

I have not tried this yet but it does sound good.

Drunken Deviled Eggs

1 ½ cups water

1 300 ml bottle sake, about 1 ¼ cup

2 cups soy sauce

¾ cup sugar

¼ cup mirin

½ cup ice

12 Eggs

½ cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoon lime juice

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

¼ cup crushed kettle-cooked potato chips

2 tablespoons minced chives

2 tablespoons furikake

Combine the water, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin in a sauce pan . Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a heat-safe bowl and add ice to cool down.

Bring a pot of hot water to a boil lower the eggs  into water, Reduce heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes, drain and place in ice bath, then crack and peel.

Transfer eggs to a air tight container, Pour cooled marinade over eggs, cover with lid and refrigerated for 12 to 24 hours.

After the eggs have marinated, drain and pat dry with a paper towel.  Cut in half and transfer egg yokes to a bowl of a food processor and mayonnaise, lime juice and Dijon, blend until smooth.

Evenly spoon yolk mixture back into egg white shells, Garnish with crushed potato chips, furikake and minced chives.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

I use to make pickled eggs quite often. I often modify the original recipe I posted. Such as reducing the amount of vinegar, level of heat, sugar, additional pickling spice etc. White the current sale on eggs I may make a batch this weekend.

Hab's Pickled Eggs
Woodlawn Smoker - Smoked Pickled Eggs

Do a search and you will find more pickled eggs recipes and some pickled sausage recipes. I would only cold smoke one of the items; such as only the eggs. The smoke from that one item will infuse into the pickling solution, and add a smoke flavor to everything. If you smoke all of the ingredients, you may find the smoke flavor overwhelming. I smoke my eggs for two hours using pecan. Woodlawn Smoker use 1 hour 20 minutes of hickory. The more vinegar and the longer the eggs stay in the pickling solution, the more "rubbery" the egg whites will get.

Gafala;

I made the below recipe a few weeks back. I either got it form Food & Wine or Bon Appetit. Nice flavor but the eggs get too strong of a salty flavor after 3 days. I marinade at least 2 - 3 days. If you follow the recipe as it is written, the egg yokes have a "thick gel" like consistency.

Soy Marinated Eggs.

Ingredients
•   6 large eggs
•   5 garlic cloves, peeled
•   3 dried chiles de árbol or 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
•   ¾ cup soy sauce
•   3 Tbsp. mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
•   2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
•   Toasted sesame seeds (for serving; optional)

Recipe Preparation
1.   Gently lower eggs into a large saucepan of boiling water. When water returns to a gentle boil, cook 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water and let cool 2 minutes (eggs may still be a little warm). Remove eggs from ice water and peel.
2.   Meanwhile, bring garlic, chiles, soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add eggs. Let sit at least 1 hour.
3.   To serve, drain eggs, quarter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
4.   Do Ahead: Eggs can be marinated 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.

The longer you let them sit, the more flavor they'll pick up, but if you only have an hour, serve egg quarters with some of the pickling liquid drizzled over for extra flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Have never pickled eggs but when I have mad smoked devil eggs I usually do 2 hours of hickory. Turn out good.

_Bear_

Thanks all for your input. Hab I think I am going to use your recipe, smoking all solid ingredients for 1.5 hrs using hickory. I am going to smoke the sausage then put them on the BBQ to get as much fat out of them as possible before pickling with the eggs. I have not seen pickled eggs and sausage in North America but I have seen it and tried them in Europe and they were amazing. I am really hoping these turn out as well. Will post some pics.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Good luck interested to know how it turns out. I keep a few chickens and always on the lookout for recipes that involve eggs!  :)
Manxman

_Bear_

Well, we finally got smoking today. I could not use my cold smoker attachment damn electronics lol. Going to let it smoke for 2 hrs using Crown Royal smoke, then cook the sausage, make the brine and throw it all in a jar and see how it comes out

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

Packed a little tight, but they still shake around. Now for the 10 to 14 day wait

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

dubob

Dang! Bubba!, that looks down right fit to eat.  Ya done good!  :)
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

_Bear_

So I sampled my eggs and sausage today, they have been pickling for 3 days and all I can say is WOW!! Very nice and flavorful, warm on the tong and lips, I will defiantly be doing this again. I cant wait to see if they improve with age.

On a side note, I smoked 29 eggs and only got 21 into the jar. I used the 8 eggs in a potato salad for Easter Sunday dinner and it was amazing. I now have 2 adult children their husbands and our grand kids that want me to smoke some eggs and onions for them now lol. I think it is time to introduce them to the wonderful world of owning their own smokers lol
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

dubob

Quote from: _Bear_ on April 22, 2019, 03:01:48 PMI now have 2 adult children their husbands and our grand kids that want me to smoke some eggs and onions for them now lol. I think it is time to introduce them to the wonderful world of owning their own smokers lol
Way past time to introduce them to their own smokers.   ;)
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Habanero Smoker

I've had problems with this forum the past few days. Today it seems to be functioning better.

One thing I've noticed with pickled eggs; though they do get more flavorful the texture changes and they get a little more "rubbery"; but it is nothing that bothered me or stopped me from eating them.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

_Bear_

Quote from: _Bear_ on April 23, 2019, 02:43:55 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 23, 2019, 01:33:00 PM
I've had problems with this forum the past few days. Today it seems to be functioning better.

One thing I've noticed with pickled eggs; though they do get more flavorful the texture changes and they get a little more "rubbery"; but it is nothing that bothered me or stopped me from eating them.  ;D
Y
Several times I tried to log in and I got a "bad gateway" message. The site has been touch and go the last little while

As far as the eggs getting more rubbery, yes they do, but it did not bother anyone eating the potato salad, not even a picky eating 3 year old little hurricane named Kaitlin lol. It defiantly firms them up which is nice. I also decided the next time I smoke eggs, I will let them bloom for a couple of days before using them, they seem to have a deeper flavor after sitting for a few days
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ