Bisquette savers

Started by GRWood, August 29, 2015, 09:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRWood

I am wondering, if one wishes to have a long slow cook without continuous smoke, could bisquette savers be alternated with actual bisquettes when loading the feeder? Could the bisquette burner be damaged by the savers being on it while it is hot? Has anyone tried this?

beefmann

im not  sure if one has even tried like  you describe, how ever most meats Stop absorbing smoke flavor at around  140 F  which is typically  in the  3 to 4 hour range of cooking  /  smoking at  225 F.. so i  feel  anything after the  140  F  it is a waist of  pucks and effort

Habanero Smoker

I've been using Bubba Pucks (bisquette savers) for about 10 years, with no damage to any of my generators. They rest on my bisquette burner until my food is done, which could be well over 12 hours if I'm smoking a butt. Often longer, if I forget to remove them until my next cook. :)

What are you planning to cook, using intermittent smoke?
At what cabinet temperatures?
Also how much actual smoke will you be applying?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: GRWood on August 29, 2015, 09:11:03 AM
I am wondering, if one wishes to have a long slow cook without continuous smoke, could bisquette savers be alternated with actual bisquettes when loading the feeder? Could the bisquette burner be damaged by the savers being on it while it is hot? Has anyone tried this?

Why would you want to do this?  The majority of the smoke is absorbed during the first few hours when the meat is initially cooking.  Applying smoke after that is mostly a waste of pucks and money.

And the burner will not be damaged if you leave a puck saver on it.  However do NOT try to remove a puck saver with your bare hands until it has cooled off.   ;)

revid

Hi new to the bradly smoking thing and was wondering about the bisquette saver thing? Can someone explain it to me and why please?

Habanero Smoker

They are metal rings the same size as the bisquettes. They are used to save the next to last bisquettes from smoldering, by pushing the last wood bisquette off the burner. For example, if you wanted to apply four hours of smoke, you would load 12 wood bisquettes, then three bisquette savers to push the twelfth bisquette off the burner. Without the savers you would have to load 14 wood bisquettes. At the end of the smoke cycle, the twelfth bisquettes would stay on the burner, and the thirteenth briquette would sit and smolder on the rail, and it is possible that you may not be able to use that partially burnt bisquette for a future smoke. Most say that leaving a bisquette to smolder on the burner to burn more than 20 minutes produces an acrid taste.

Bisquette Savers

I
         don't
                   inhale.

LindaCC

Harbanero,  haven't posted for a very long time. Bought the new Bradley recently, giving my digital to my son. Now trying to find another set of Bubba Pucks. No where to be found. Chezbubba.com is gone.  Do you know where there is something similar other than those light weight ones that look like a donut?  Our Bubba Pucks worked so much better.

rnmac

I got my aluminum rings from home depot. I see amazon also has them.

Habanero Smoker

The link was in my previous post. Click on the link below.

Bisquette Savers

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

Quote from: LindaCC on December 05, 2018, 10:39:03 AMDo you know where there is something similar other than those light weight ones that look like a donut?  Our Bubba Pucks worked so much better.

eBay has a set of 3 that don't look like the donut for $11.10.

BRADLEY SMOKER BISQUETTE WOOD SAVER PUCKS (3 pack)