Time to smoke some cheese

Started by _Bear_, April 25, 2019, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

We have Gouda, Havarti, Cheddar and mozzarella. 13.5 lbs in total. While this cheese is blooming I am going to cure and smoke some Maple Back Bacon. Should make for some outstanding pizza's in a few months.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Edward176

Looks good Bear, just cut them into smaller pieces so it doesn't cost you too much for postage when you mail me some :)

_Bear_

Well, we are smoking now, and I did cut it into smaller pieces, but you have to come here if you want some and bring beer lol. Sorry for the mess and I am also sorry for the huge pictures, I can't seem to figure out how to make them smaller.

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Edward176

Looks really good Bear. I was wondering what wood you used and for how long did you smoke for?

_Bear_

Quote from: Edward176 on April 25, 2019, 08:38:02 PM
Looks really good Bear. I was wondering what wood you used and for how long did you smoke for?

Thanks. I used hickory. I let them sit on the counter for 1 hr unpackaged, smoked them for 2 hrs then let them rest for 2 hrs and then vacuum sealed them. I like letting them rest for a long time, I put June 15 (50 days) on them because about 5 lbs of it are my daughter, her husband and 2 kids cheese, and they would open it tomorrow and try and eat it if I didn't write it down for them LOL.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Edward176

LOL, I too smoked cheese and vacuumed seal them. I have to hide them in the basement fridge WAY in the back out of sight, so when my daughter comes over to visit, she goes straight to the downstairs fridge and "scrounges". I actually had cheese that was almost 1 year old when I opened the bag up, seemed to have lost most of the smoke flavour and aroma, but was still good.
Anyone else notice the loss of smoke flavour and aroma? Or is it just me?
Thanks for the photo's Bear.

Gafala

I would suspect it would degrade over time as it is not mixed into the cheese, mine never last that long so I have never had that happen to me.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Edward176

Neither does mine Gafala, I just HID it so well even I forgot it was there.

rnmac

I just found a bag full in my downstairs fridge marked Nov 26.
There are about 6 different types in it and the first 2 are real tasty.
As soon as I open the vac seal I get that blast of smoke smell so I'm
guessing they haven't lost anything.

Edward176

Interesting rnmac, I'll have to smoke another batch and "Experiment" to see if it'll keep the smokiness or not. But that'll mean storing the cheese 10 months or longer. Thats the hard part.

_Bear_

I have had cheese that got lost in the vortex of my downstairs fridge for over a year, when we opened it up it was still very good, it may have been the best cheese yet. I just smoked 13.5 lbs and won't let anyone touch it until June 15th. The problem is it will be gone within about 3 weeks of opening it between the kids and grandkids, so will have to another batch in the pipeline by then, or I get lots of moaning and groaning and whining. I was going to cold smoke some eggs today for potato salad and egg salad sandwiches but unfortunately we have a blizzard warning out, but next weekend looks clear so it will be smoked ribs, smoked devilled egg/potato salad and corn bread. Might even make some spicy baked beans......I need to get back to work before I get way to fat lol
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Roget

Great lookin' batch of cheese.

It is just V (my wife) & I so my cheese lasts a while.
I still have cheese from October 2017 & it is still relatively pungent.
I smoke cheese every April & October so it is time to get the cold smoke adapter out. ;)
YCDBSOYA

Doug in Alaska

I have found that my smoked cheese (in my opinion) is best at about a year, vacuum packed and in the fridge.

Roget

Can't argue with that statement.
I just gave the last of my cheese to my grand daughter, & I missed my April smoke date,so I am out for a bit.
It is way yonder too hot to smoke cheese here now. ((high 80's every day)
YCDBSOYA