Cleaning my OBS 4 rack

Started by Shasta bob, May 15, 2019, 03:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

I just completed a smoke of 2 bone in pork shoulders and as I was cleaning up the smoker I noticed (Fat & or Grease) ran inside the smoke generator and between the Generator and the cabinet. why and how?.

Smoker is 4 rack OBS with PID
Temp was 225 Deg.
meat was on second rack from top and on the bottom rack.

thanks, Help please, Shasta Bob
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Shasta bob

Thanks but I think I found the problem, it appears that my v tray has to much use and there was some pitting and some small holes developed that allowed the juice and grease to fall on the burner then into the generator wow! thank god there was pucks on the Shute to stop or I could of had a fire.!
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Orion

You know it's got a lot of hours on it when the drip tray needs replacement. Good you got it figured out.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Habanero Smoker

Glad you posted this information. I am about to start my Bradley "deep" clean, that I generally do in the fall. I'll make sure to check for that problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dubob

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 16, 2019, 01:16:21 AM
Glad you posted this information. I am about to start my Bradley "deep" clean, that I generally do in the fall. I'll make sure to check for that problem.
I'd very much like to know what the process is for a "DEEP CLEAN" of an OBS.  I've never cleaned my OBS and its over 10 years old.  But I only did maybe 2 or 3 smokes a year.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Habanero Smoker

I believe this August I will have had mine 15 years. I don't use mine as much as I have in the past. Mainly bacon, hams, Canadian bacon, pastrami, nuts etc. and butts. So I don't have to clean as often as I use to.

Deep cleaning is nothing more than taking the cover off the generator and cleaning out all the debris. Also I give the drip tray a thorough cleaning. During the summer and fall after each use I'll scrap and brush off any burnt on food items, but at least once a year I'll clean it to the point it looks like new. Also the bottom tray and the floor of the cabinet gets a good cleaning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)