900w fuse

Started by chionk, May 01, 2019, 09:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chionk

I just re-wired my OBS with a new 900w heating element. I upgraded the wire to 14ga but kept everything the same (re wired thermocouple and inline fuse). When I turn it on the lights come on and smoke generator heats up, but the 900w heating element doesn't work. I removed the inline fuses and connected everything back and the heating element works.

Is it ok the run the smoker without the inline fuse?

Where would I get a new inline fuse, and what type of crimp connector would I use to crimp it to the 14ga wire?

Thanks guys

Habanero Smoker

Are you using any third party temperature controller; such as the Auber PID or other brand name controller? 

You state that you removed the inline fuses. There is only one. If you wired the cabinet to by-passed more than one item, you may have also disconnected the high temperature sensor.

I would say that it is not safe to run the smoker with a 900 watt heater without the inline fuse and the high temperature sensor hooked up. If you live in the U.S., Yard & Pool may have the parts you are looking for, or search eBay.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chionk

No I am not using a PID.

The high temperature sensor is connected, it's just the inline fuse that I had to remove in order to get it to work.

I live in Canada. I can find the fuse on Amazon, but I cannot find what connector to crimp it to the 14 ga wire.

manfromplaid

you can use marrettes and just twist them on.

chionk

So I tested the fuse with a multimeter, it has ohm resistance.

Would there is any other reason why, with the fuse in place, when I plug everything in all the lights work and the smoke generator heats up, but no main heating element? Could a wire have been loose for this to still happen?

I assume if the fuse was blown i would get no change on my multimeter when I test it?

Habanero Smoker

Use the continuity test for testing the inline fuse to make sure there is no interruption in the current. The inline fuse would only effect the cabinet power. So even if blown the generator will work, but the heating element won't.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

dubob

Quote from: chionk on May 02, 2019, 07:45:49 AM
So I tested the fuse with a multimeter, it has ohm resistance.
An in-line fuse should show as a short - no measurable resistance.  If you are reading a resistance, then you re dropping voltage across that resistance and lowering the voltage being applied to the smoker.
The voltage drop could be enough to cause it not to work.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

chionk

Crisis averted. I don't know why that inline fused didn't work. When I plugged it back in everything works just fine. The 900w mod works well. I got up to 320F in 10 minutes.

Thanks for the help eveyone

cathouse willy

Just curious why would you want it that hot? High temps defeat the purpose of "low and slow" and that's what the Bradley is about.It's not built for baking temps.Some thing to ponder,there are lots of bradleys out there with larger heating elements,if they catch fire and the insurance co finds the cause to be a diy mod????
Lecture over thanks for listening
Bill

chionk

I just wanted to see the temp and heating ranges and times. I am sick of the 2 hr pre heat and the extremely low recovery time when you open the door. I understand the principles of smoking and I wanted to know the limits of my modification.
Rebuttal over.

dubob

Good luck with your future cooks.   8)
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: cathouse willy on May 04, 2019, 11:39:26 AM
Just curious why would you want it that hot? High temps defeat the purpose of "low and slow" and that's what the Bradley is about.It's not built for baking temps.Some thing to ponder,there are lots of bradleys out there with larger heating elements,if they catch fire and the insurance co finds the cause to be a diy mod????
Lecture over thanks for listening
Bill

The first originals were rated for 320°F (such as the one I have), and probably the current original can still handle those temperatures. I personally don't like taking my Bradley over 250°F, because I tend to get a burnt flavor from the drippings sizzling on the drip tray. In these times, bbq competitors are pushing the envelope on temperature. Many are cooking the briskets at 325°F (some higher); spare ribs at 275°F, and producing great tasting bbq. I've done Myron Mixon's Hot & Fast brisket on one of my charcoal burners, and it came out great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.