CAST IRON FRY PAN

Started by Jim O, May 02, 2019, 10:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

Came across an old, rusty, 11 1/2 "  fry pan. Any suggestions as to how to restore it so it can be use ?
Thanks
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

manfromplaid

depending on how much rust is there. steel wool to scour down to bare cast. wash in water with mild soap use stiff bristle brush until clean. dry it right away and try and get it very dry but don't air dry. very lighty coat the whole pan with cooking oil  top bottom handle  into the oven at 350-400 for an hour  place on rack upside down  good luck.  if the rust is really bad you might need to get it sandblasted

Gafala

I would never use any kind of soap on Cast Iron, I clean mine with first hot water, then about  2 tablespoons of sea salt rubbing it around the hole pan , then rinse, then on to the stove to warm it up to remove water let cool and then apply a coating of Crisco oil and store till next use. My Cast Iron pans look like they are new. And they are as good as the nonstick pans. Cleaning this way allows a nonstick surface to build up. 

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.